Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

ICE Magwell + Dawson basepad

jriera

Either not a 140mm mag

or

it's a pre ban 140mm mag (they're shorter than post ban 140mm mags)

or

Older model of basepads which need some clearancing for it to work.

Edited by yoshidaex

The mags and the gun are fairly old (a Trip Research circa 1992) but the magazines sizes are 140mm and exactly the same size as the newer ones I have for the STI .45

Magazines without the Dawson basepad lock properly and 'stick out'.

Must be the basepads, time for new ones .. I will double check this weekend at the IPSC match.

Thanks for the replies

Hello: Just to let you know that you may have the old style Dawson base pads for the preban mags. You will be able to sell these for more than the new style Dawson base pads since people use them to make extended mags for there open pistols. They call them +2 Dawson base pads and they made at least 2 different styles, maybe 3 since I have seen some other weird ones. Hope this helps. Thanks, Eric

If they're an older Dawson +1, the angles on the upper part of the pad are a little funky and may not work with certain magwells. I have a couple of these and needed to grind on my SV magwell to make them fit. I haven't tried them with an ICE, maybe I should... OK just tested and they do fit with an ICE, but y'never know, every gun is different.

I love Dawsons but if you can't make them work, Grams or Bolens have more clearance. If you need something Now, and are willing to give up a round of capacity, there's always stock STI basepads...

Yes, angles are all over the place. I very much made my mind on Grams +2.5 basepads for the 140's and 170's, I may even send the mags to Grams for the 'mag tune service'.

Cannot find the stock STI basepads ..

Edited by jriera

• 2 weeks later...