Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I am the King...

justaute

of "broken" CZ parts. :wacko:

About 50 rounds into my practice session tonight, in preparation for Area 4, I had an extraction issue and noticed the spent casing got stuck in the chamber. It turns out I had a broken extractor. The extractor claw broke off. During the ownership of my SP-01 Shadow, since September of 2010, I have had 3 broken TRS and now a broken extractor. I have about 13k rounds through the gun. Perhaps I need to do an "annual replacement" of all the small parts. btw... what is the "typical" life expectancy of an extractor?

Silver-lining... glad the broken extractor happened before Area 4, which is this coming weekend. :cheers:

Stuart --- good one. :roflol: Now, I wonder where I can get a back-up/another SP-01 Shadow?

Skydiver -- yep, I do have a backup slide-stop withme.

Gerard -- I usually try to run the gun relatively wet. I use Slide Glide on rails and barrel. Put a dab of Weapon Shield on TRS, sear spring, and hammer. Anything else I should do?

btw... I also broke a firing pin spring during a local match. :devil:

weird if you run it wet. i dunno, go run it relatively dry? i have an aerosol spray can of rem oil that's pretty much the only thing i use. it's messy misting it here and there but i'm lazy. i have a TON of those brownells oil packets that has some thicker oil i put on the rails when i feel like putting effort? i lube once a month if i feel like it. i dunno. broke a TRS earlier this year, i had to manually stroke it forwards with my trigger finger between shots lol.

Look at the bright side. Since I break TRS springs all the time I'm now an expert at tearing the gun all the way down. Luckily we have eerw and Stuart here to help me fix all my problems. My springs have all broken during dry fire though.

So far, 20.000 rds trough my sp01 and broke only a TRS (knock on wood), never changed the recoil spring. Still going strong. It's the gun I like the least of the ones I own, so I completely neglected maintenance, I really don't remember when I cleaned it last time...

WARDOG...good seeing you here. Hope the Dawson sights are still working for you.

Which guns are your favorites?

So far, 20.000 rds trough my sp01 and broke only a TRS (knock on wood), never changed the recoil spring. Still going strong. It's the gun I like the least of the ones I own, so I completely neglected maintenance, I really don't remember when I cleaned it last time...

Edited by justaute

Ken, from my experience - if you have a brand new slidestop, use it on the gun for a few practices or it'll be much stiffer than broken in one.

Also, lifetime of slidestop greatly depends on recoil spring rate - the stiffer the spring, the shorter slidestop's life. It doesn't matter how powerful ammo is. Slidestop is the only thing that prevents slide from going forward.

Ken, from my experience - if you have a brand new slidestop, use it on the gun for a few practices or it'll be much stiffer than broken in one.

Also, lifetime of slidestop greatly depends on recoil spring rate - the stiffer the spring, the shorter slidestop's life. It doesn't matter how powerful ammo is. Slidestop is the only thing that prevents slide from going forward.

+1

Well, when it rains, it pours.

Skydiver -- you were prescient. My slide-stop broke tonight during my 2nd attempted live-fire practice. :( Fortunately, I had a spare with me. So, other than a few springs, I'm out of the "hard" spare parts such as slide-stop and extractor. Within the last 3,000 rounds, I replaced a TRS, firing pin spring, extractor spring, extractor, and now slide-stop. I do have spare recoil spring, hammer spring, and a few other small springs left.

Let's hope I have now broken "everything" and the gun holds up for Area 4.

Well, when it rains, it pours.

Skydiver -- you were prescient. My slide-stop broke tonight during my 2nd attempted live-fire practice. :( Fortunately, I had a spare with me. So, other than a few springs, I'm out of the "hard" spare parts such as slide-stop and extractor. Within the last 3,000 rounds, I replaced a TRS, firing pin spring, extractor spring, extractor, and now slide-stop. I do have spare recoil spring, hammer spring, and a few other small springs left.

Let's hope I have now broken "everything" and the gun holds up for Area 4.

Wow....are you using it for a hammer when you're not shooting it? :surprise:

...good seeing you here. Hope the Dawson sights are still working for you.

Which guns are your favorites?

Dawson sight is wonderful! thanks again! I'm a born and bred 1911 single stack shooter, it's the gun I like the most.

I've tried everything under the sun, still think the sp01 is a wonderful gun, but the grip shape and the trigger shape really don't suit me well.. other than that the thing is an anvil that shoots poa poi everytime, and fast!

Ok, so I had pretty much decided I was going to get a sp-01 shadow custom for my next competition gun after coming from shooting a Glock 35 for last 2 years or so. I was "advised" against it by a much more experienced shooter than myself, but I stuck to my guns claiming that although few (in USA) shoot them, they all seem to love them to death. And then I came upon this post. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't worried about reliability now. Granted, this worry is coming from never having a back up glock because it has never let me down.

Most of my views about the cz is based on these forums and from picking up a cz 75 at a local shop and loving how it felt in hand.

Ok, so I had pretty much decided I was going to get a sp-01 shadow custom for my next competition gun after coming from shooting a Glock 35 for last 2 years or so. I was "advised" against it by a much more experienced shooter than myself, but I stuck to my guns claiming that although few (in USA) shoot them, they all seem to love them to death. And then I came upon this post. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't worried about reliability now. Granted, this worry is coming from never having a back up glock because it has never let me down.

Most of my views about the cz is based on these forums and from picking up a cz 75 at a local shop and loving how it felt in hand.

wanna know a secret? all guns break. i've known (and still know) people who have never gotten their glocks, m&ps, xds, CZs, and sigs running right. i'm a big proponent of what matters the most is that you get the one that fits you and your shooting style the best.

DoubleA...FWIW, I am definitely sticking with the SP-01 platform for USPSA. As mentioned, I've had over 13k rounds, and thousands of dryfiring, through this gun. If you're shooting Area 4 this coming weekend, you'll see several competitors shooting CZ, including at least a couple of GMs. Are Glocks more reliable? Probably so. In the end, for a competition gun, as long as one has a consistent maintenance routine, CZs should run just fine.

I'm new to pistol shooting and am definitely not a fan-boy of anything. Given the options of Glock, M&P, SA, etc., just pick whichever that fits you the best. For my money, for now, I'm sticking with CZ.

p.s. if you shoot in the local DFW USPSA circuit, you're welcome to try mine.

Edited by justaute

BurningS- I understand every gun breaks, it's the frequency that worried me. Don't get me wrong, I still want one like you wouldn't believe, but with my income and a family with two kids, how I invest my hobby money is a big deal.

Justaute- I appreciate the offer to try out your sp01. I desperately want to shoot one to the point I would go to a particular match just for the chance. I'm not sure what matches are part of the DFW circuit. I live 2 hours east of Dallas just a few miles off of I-20 so maybe we can figure out a good one to meet up at.

As far as area 4 goes, I kinda shot myself in the foot in that I forgot to get time off work for it, so I will just be practicing and pouting this weekend.

The DFW circuit typically includes Johnson County, Greenville, Waco, Ferris, and Wichita Falls (too far for me). I've shot with a couple of USPSA regulars from Tyler (Gerald and Lincoln). PM me and we'll coordinate our schedules.

Justaute- I appreciate the offer to try out your sp01. I desperately want to shoot one to the point I would go to a particular match just for the chance. I'm not sure what matches are part of the DFW circuit. I live 2 hours east of Dallas just a few miles off of I-20 so maybe we can figure out a good one to meet up at.

As far as area 4 goes, I kinda shot myself in the foot in that I forgot to get time off work for it, so I will just be practicing and pouting this weekend.