Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

another primer problem 1050

hi all,

i changed the toolhead on my 1050 and took apart by accident part no 13607 and everything came falling off.

i replaced the toolhead and tightened with the handle down. i replaced the primer rocker arm and the primer punch 13307 and the spring and primer system tappet 12995.

Now i wil only get really high primers, even by adjusting the primer punch screw i can't get the primer punch flush with the primer surface. i've been trying for hours but cannot get it to work.

what can i do?

hi all,

i changed the toolhead on my 1050 and took apart by accident part no 13607 and everything came falling off.

i replaced the toolhead and tightened with the handle down. i replaced the primer rocker arm and the primer punch 13307 and the spring and primer system tappet 12995.

Now i wil only get really high primers, even by adjusting the primer punch screw i can't get the primer punch flush with the primer surface. i've been trying for hours but cannot get it to work.

what can i do?

Does adjusting the punch make any difference? It sounds like something is binding or missing. Without primers or brass does it look the like the punch is coming up to the right height?

No it's not reaching the right height without brass or primers. I can push the primer rocker arm to the right height by hand. I checked the manual and there are no other parts in that area (that i'm aware off) Maybe i can lower the toolhead so that the pen pushes the primer rockerarm further. But i already replaced it while the handle was at lowest position. Or can it has something to do with the swager. I did not change anything about the swager

No it's not reaching the right height without brass or primers. I can push the primer rocker arm to the right height by hand. I checked the manual and there are no other parts in that area (that i'm aware off) Maybe i can lower the toolhead so that the pen pushes the primer rockerarm further. But i already replaced it while the handle was at lowest position. Or can it has something to do with the swager. I did not change anything about the swager

It sounds like the swage backup rod is too low not letting the toolhead go through its full travel. Is part 11063 hitting the stop at the bottom of the frame when you don't have brass in the machine and when you do?

Check that the rocker arm is round the right way - from memory there is a hole drilled through the end which is pointing towards the front (ie you)

Also check the tool head is fitted all the way down on the ram properly

Edited by Spanners

Hi all,

first of all thanks for all your replies.

i think that the toolhead is in the right position because the caseplunger feeds brass into the shellplate.

Second when i look at the primerpunch i can see that its not flush with the surface. it's 4 mm below and i can not get it higher by using the screw.

The pointy end of the rockerarm is under the primer punch. Maybe i am missing a part, i have the rockerarm, the primerpunch, the spring of the punch(tried it in 2 ways) and the tappet. i think thats all there is.

Can his has something to do with the swager? that is stops the primerpunch?

Hi all,

first of all thanks for all your replies.

i think that the toolhead is in the right position because the caseplunger feeds brass into the shellplate.

Second when i look at the primerpunch i can see that its not flush with the surface. it's 4 mm below and i can not get it higher by using the screw.

The pointy end of the rockerarm is under the primer punch. Maybe i am missing a part, i have the rockerarm, the primerpunch, the spring of the punch(tried it in 2 ways) and the tappet. i think thats all there is.

Can his has something to do with the swager? that is stops the primerpunch?

With your priming system installed properly on the machine, you should be able to get the seating punch to sit level with the bushing by adjusting the set screw near the tappet. If you can't, start looking at the parts themselves for damage.

If they look normal, is it possible the set screw in the frame is broken? Doubtful, as if it was too short it would likely be noticable because the tappet would likely be above flush when installing a shellplate, but worth looing at if everything else checks out.

you should be able to get the seating punch to sit level with the bushing by adjusting the set screw

and if this is not the case? where can i look too get it adjusted?

What does the 13607 Rocker Bolt Lock Washer do? Nothing really important i guess?

you should be able to get the seating punch to sit level with the bushing by adjusting the set screw

and if this is not the case? where can i look too get it adjusted?

What does the 13607 Rocker Bolt Lock Washer do? Nothing really important i guess?

It provides a crush fit to the press, hopefully keeping that bolt from working loose.