Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Accidentally engaging thumb safety

sperman

So a quick question regarding USPSA Production and IDPA SSP as well... would changing the stock safety on a normal CZ 75B to one of the extended safeties kick me out of Production/SSP? Or is an allowed change since it is a normal stock part?

I've always wondered if my safety was supposed to engage with the hammer fully decocked. So I guess it's more desirable to have a safety that only engages at half and full cock. The safety on my SP01 is not sloppy at all. The ambi side has a very small wiggle but won't engage with just that little wiggle. I have yet to fully take the shadow apart and see for myself how it all works. Thanks for the tips on how the safety moves and fits together.

Also, I'm pretty sure that when you add a part to a production gun, it must be available from factory with that part also, or bump to open.

I've always wondered if my safety was supposed to engage with the hammer fully decocked. So I guess it's more desirable to have a safety that only engages at half and full cock. The safety on my SP01 is not sloppy at all. The ambi side has a very small wiggle but won't engage with just that little wiggle. I have yet to fully take the shadow apart and see for myself how it all works. Thanks for the tips on how the safety moves and fits together.

Also, I'm pretty sure that when you add a part to a production gun, it must be available from factory with that part also, or bump to open.

Not 100% sure (but pretty sure), the safety shouldn't be able to engage with the hammer fully down and fully decocked... I'd think if it did then it might not be working and blocking the sear from moving (no bueno). That said, many engage at half-cock, I just prefer that they didn't, so I'd fit a new one more carefully.

As far as swapping to a different style safety meaning a bump to Open, I've wondered about that, it is kind of murky..? The Rami-style come on the Adam Tyc models, so I'd guess they'd be ok on an SP-01 Shadow, but not sure about the 75 Shadows? The standard 75/85 style safeties come on the Sp-01's and Stainless 75 models with the same frames as the 75 SA's and 75 Shadows, so I'd think they'd be ok, but not totally sure really..? Anyone..?

Thanks for the appendix section on that. :)

Now the question for a gunsmith... would switching to the Extended Paddle style safety (approved on several Production Approved firearms already):

A: fit on my 75B?

B: increase the tension and prevent the safety from accidentally engaging during my draw?

Thanks!

Edited by Pensfan

• 2 months later...

IMO, if you've got a CZ where the safety moves too easily and it bugs you, then there's really no other solution that'll really last other than coughing up $30 for the new part, and then fitting it how you want it (new left-side safety for ambi's).

On CZ safeties there's a raised, square pad that sits towards the left side of the frame and tucks up and under the sear arm the protrudes out of the top of the sear-cage/ejector-housing... In order to get a the safety/safeties to engage, you have to file off the front corner (or back corner, can't remember exactly without looking at it, just take your slide off and you should be able to see what I'm talking about...) of that pad so the safety can be raised and allow that pad to butt up against that sear-arm, blocking the sear from moving. So if one is patient, and resigns themselves to taking things apart and reassembling as many times as it takes, you can file off just a little each try until you get it to where with a fair amount of muscle you can force it to engage. Voila, stiff safety on and off, maybe stone it real quick to smooth things up (or not and just let it wear in) and that's it, you should be good.

(IMPORTANT: make sure the hammer is back with the gun in SA mode as you're checking things out!)

Anyone who's installed a competition hammer before probably already knows what I'm talking about here, but to get 'em to snick on and off with authority you've pretty much got to go slow, trying, and re-trying until it's right there. There's a fair amount of room to over file where the safeties will function and do what they should, but engagement won't exactly feel real positive, I've actually had a couple guns (and heard it's fairly common) with competition hammers that were where they allowed the safety to be be engaged with the hammer down in DA or at half-cock... Done as described above, there's no safety movement at all with the hammer down and engaging it has to be totally deliberate with the hammer back in SA mode. It's actually quite easy, but go to far and the part is toast so be aware and try more, and file less, before you go too far.

(sorry for the any typos, long posts are a bitch on an iPhone)

Hope this helps.

Omg!! Thank you thank you thank you! Ordering my standard safety now!

The last 2 matches I've accidentally engaged the thumb safety at least once on my SP01 shadow. Does anyone know of a way to increase the amount of force it takes to engage the thumb safety. I would prefer to disable it completely, but that would make the gun illegal for competition.

Why isn't anyone recommending to grip the gun up as high as you can and rest your thumb on top of the safety? I am starting to shoot my SP-01 shadow in production after shooting open for the last 2 years and it's normal for me to run my thumb on top of the safety. Save your money.

Edited by Brent D

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

After starting this topic, I found a spring that made it less likely to accidentally engage the safety. Please see here:

http://www.brianenos...howtopic=170398

Just installed the safety spring that Scott (sperman) is selling. If anyone of you are still having an issue accidentally bumping the safety on, you should invest in this spring. It was no more difficult than installing the stock safety detent spring.

I posted a short video for you to see the difference. I'm using the same upward force with my thumb before and after.

In order to engage the safety, I needed to exert a lot more pressure. I think it is highly unlikely you will bump the safety on with this spring.

Thanks Scott!!