Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gun for Jr shooter

1911vm

so that means he's shooting metallic . or are you making open out of those guns

Sorry, I should have specified. My boys will be shooting metallic sights unless they show a preference for Production. If that's the case, they'll be shooting a GP6.

Open may just be easier for a junior to shoot. Less recoil, red dot, coolness factor.. :roflol: But the guns are heavy, so strength does come into play.

Don't forget about all the extra prize $$ available for first time PRODUCTION shooters.

First Time Production - Anyone

First Time Production - Women

First Time Production - Junior

Molly Smith in 2010 and Tori in 2011 among others really cashed in.

How old is your Junior? In AP, someone may compete as a junior until December 31st of the year they turn 20. So, keep that in mind as some of the others they would compete with in Open for High Junior. Some really good juniors the past two years, but I'm not sure who the up and coming open juniors are.

Louis shot open but with his Revolver this year he shot a 1565 which he was proud of he has gotten the shooting but with a vengeance and has started shooting Syd's open gun. He just about cleaned the plates at the local match last month. 44 of 48. he shot 43 of 48 at the cup.

Open guns are easier to shoot and score with in some of the stages because the rules allow certain things to be done. (locking on the barricade for one)

Louis shot open but with his Revolver this year he shot a 1565 which he was proud of he has gotten the shooting but with a vengeance and has started shooting Syd's open gun. He just about cleaned the plates at the local match last month. 44 of 48. he shot 43 of 48 at the cup.

Open guns are easier to shoot and score with in some of the stages because the rules allow certain things to be done. (locking on the barricade for one)

You CAN lock on the barricade with a revo. I do it.

Tracy

ETA: Ok, I'm an idiot. I read "Open guns are easier to shoot" as not-revos. :blush:

Edited by thock

Bob recently built an open gun out of a Springfield 9mm for Speculatorking. While I don't recommend buying a complete pistol for a build, it worked for hm because he lives in CA. It's cheaper to buy a frame and slide. Most of the parts on the Springfield are tossed. Why buy them twice.

I did the final tune up on the gun and it turned out well. He was shooting in the mid 1700's and his first match he shot in the 1860's. This was with no practice prior to the match.

When finished I will post pictures of the worlds cheapest open gun.

But a 9mm is a good way to start, becuase if nothing else there is shitloads of ammo available anywhere.

Look around for a used 1911, as long as it is in 9mm or 38Super, then you can really take your time to build it up.

100% reliable and grouping 2" is better than 99% reliable and grouping 1/2", especially with a junior. They must be able to have confidence that the gun is going to go every time. A 2" gun will be fine for 18months or more as the shooter comes to grips with this match.

I have built/rebuilt Syd's open gun and am currently building one for Louis. I might be able to help you out.

david

David good day, Ok I am listing. How can you help? After doing some research I am not sure I can afford this type of a gun. Some one suggested for me to start looking for a used gun. And that may be cheaper than building one. I do not know how to do it myself so it would need to be built by a smith and that always adds cost.