Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Primer with no anvil

Albertl35

Finished loading about 1000 rounds of 9mm major and noticed that there was an anvil from a primer sitting in my Dillon RF-100. I have one of the following conditions:

1. One of the primers is missing an anvil - will it fire? will it be a squib? or will it just not ignite the powder (best case) and I have a dud round.

2. The primer was missing and only the anvil was in the box in which case no big deal

What are the experiences out there if it was condition (1)?

My 1st guess was no ignition, but seeing as I had no proof I went down to the basement and removed an anvil. The 1st thing that happens is primer powder fell out of the first one the second some stayed in and no boom boom.

oh yeah did you count and and see if there were only 999 rounds???? :goof:

Edited by johnhurd

My 1st guess was no ignition, but seeing as I had no proof I went down to the basement and removed an anvil. The 1st thing that happens is primer powder fell out of the first one the second some stayed in and no boom boom.

oh yeah did you count and and see if there were only 999 rounds???? :goof:

Wish it was that simple...this was part of a 3000+ round loading session and it between batches so 1000 rounds is an appoximation. Look like I will expect a dud round in a local match somewhere...

The good thing is it should not be a squib; hopefully.

I have been reloading for over 40 years and a couple

of weeks ago I had a round not go off (40sw, win primer)

for the first time. I actually tried it a second time

after the stage and it still did not go off. The firing

pin hit was plenty heavy enough to fire the round.

When I got home I took the round apart and then carefully deprimed

the round and it had an anvil and powder in it???

Always assumed such a case would result in a dud round but never tested it. I have ran across a single primer in the tray that was missing an anvil (CCI SP primers), but I don't load progressive as of yet so I caught it before I loaded it.