Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

missouri bullet 40 major

trap_dude

Anyone use Missouri bullets for 40 major? I live about 20 minutes away from their facility and was thinking about trying them. They say the 40 cal bullets are hardened for major loads, but not sure about combo of powder to use to get the least amount of smoke and least amount of leading. I would shoot them in a STI 2011 with a factory 5" barrel. If you have any experience with them in a 2011 please post your reload formula.

WST isnt bad, but its gonna smoke. I shot cast over WST and tightgroup for years and never knew smoke was a problem, I was perfectly happy chugging along, Then I started reading all these smoke threads and got all concerned with it.

I am reminded of the preacher and the Eskimo story.

The preacher told the Eskimo all about Jesus and that he wouldnt go to heaven unless he accepted Jesus,

"So all my ancestors are in hell because they didnt believe?"

"No", said the preacher, "They get a by because they didnt know any better and had never heard of Jesus"

Eskimo, "Oh so then why did you tell me?"

pick a powdedr cooler and slower than tightgroup and shoot, its gonna smoke some but dont worry about it.

Leading comes from undersized bullets, again all of them will lead some,

I used to load Missouri bullets from time to time for my Limited 2011's for practice. Used to use their 180 grain bullet over 4.8 grains of HP38 or Universal for a pf of about 166-167 (1.180 oal). Both made alot of smoke but I put up with it cause it was so cheap to shoot. The Universal loads were a little cleaner. Just started to use Solo 1000 with my moly loads; this powder seems to smoke less than the other two powders I mentioned with the same bullets, and I like the recoil impluse (4.8 grains at 1.200 oal). They're definitely worth trying if you're close so you dont have to pay shipping.

• 2 weeks later...

The only few times I had a malf in a match was when I used missouri bullets. Tried them in major 40 and in my 10mm. I think the bullet was too soft. On the malfs that I pulled from my gun had the nose of the bullet deformed. There was alot of leading out of the 10mm. I do like it in 45. I shoot a 2011 5 inch and I load to 1.180. Just my input.

Richard

Edited by Shield

• 2 weeks later...