Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI Trojan 9mm

LLDJR

What is the trigger pull on the 9mm Trojan 5.0?

Do they ever run any price breaks?

I am ready to buy th Trojan, decided against the Spartan.

There is a gun show in INDY this weekend, I wonder if there are any discounts on STI or are they firm.

I've never seen advertized price breaks from the factory, but your local dealer might.

I had one in .38 Super, and the trigger was very respectable out of the box.

Trigger pull of 4.5 - 5.25 is what STI says.

I'm ready to order, cant find a used one anywhere,, so Brazos or Dawson, does it matter?

I saw somewhere where someone changed the front sight for a Fiver Optic no charge, but cant seem to fnd it now.

I'm a little surprised that both the Spartan and Trojan have cast frames. Other than a checkered front strap, I am leery no to spend the extra $400 for the Trojan.

Edited by LLDJR

IIRC, the Trojan is also fitted with better internal parts than the Spartan, which I believe makes up for the price difference. I'm sure both are quality (I want a Trojan myself), but to me FSC + better parts makes up for the $300 difference. Shooters Connection has them for $1k, but they are out of stock. Brazo's has them for the same price, and they can do the changes you want (FO front, etc.). Dawson has them for $1k and also includes the "free FO upgrade." At least for the .45.

Edited by polizei1

I'm ready to order, cant find a used one anywhere,, so Brazos or Dawson, does it matter?

I saw somewhere where someone changed the front sight for a Fiver Optic no charge, but cant seem to fnd it now.

I'm a little surprised that both the Spartan and Trojan have cast frames. Other than a checkered front strap, I am leery no to spend the extra $400 for the Trojan.

I was on the same boat last year. Had my heart set on the Trojan and after some prodding from friends went with the Spartan instead. 4K rounds later, I don't regret the decision. My understanding is the internals are the same STI ones used in the Trojan. The ramped barrel controversy was really no issue as I only intended to use it for a game gun and my load is a Bear Creek 135g moly RN and it runs flawlessly at this point. I did have some mag issues when new.

With the money I saved from going with the Trojan... I invested in a Dawson ICE magwell and .100 FO front sight, new recoil and MSH springs, 5 Tripp mags, a mild trigger job done by my local gunsmith who did a great job, breaks at just over 3.0 pounds. Comptac Holster and several mag carriers for IDPA and USPSA.

I've held shot a friends Trojan and the front strap checkering is IMO pretty mundane. I prefer the skateboard tape on my Spartan. Yeah, the Trojan finish is a little nicer when new, than the parkerized Spartan, but it's a game gun so I really don't care. (My buddies Trojan is as worn from holstering as my Spartan is) it really make no difference to me.

Edited by Boxerglocker

IIRC, the Trojan is also fitted with better internal parts than the Spartan, which I believe makes up for the price difference. I'm sure both are quality (I want a Trojan myself), but to me FSC + better parts makes up for the $300 difference. Shooters Connection has them for $1k, but they are out of stock. Brazo's has them for the same price, and they can do the changes you want (FO front, etc.). Dawson has them for $1k and also includes the "free FO upgrade." At least for the .45.

The only "internal" part that matters that is different is the barrel. The hammer/sear/disconnector on the Spartan are STI (US-made) parts.

How is the Spartan slide to frame fit, is the Trojan better or about the same?

Really the only other pistols I have seen on line is the Kimber Target 9mm and the Springfield Loaded 9mm, both are SS.

I'm just not sure you'll see one at a gun show. You would be better off attending a match and asking question's, most will let you look at there gun in a safe area. I have shot for the last 2 years and can tell you that STIs rule the roost in 1911's and 2011's, weather it's factory or a custom gun using there frame and slide.

STI says....... The problem you where experiencing is called primer flow it was caused by a firing pin that was under spec on the overall length.

They put in a new firing pin and new spring I assume.

Edited by LLDJR

What makes the STI so popular? Accuracy?

Speaking for my 9mm and .40 Trojans: it's a hand fitted 1911 of highest quality for about $1000 (at the time I got mine). Basically, you pay about $300 more than you would for unfitted mass production gun from Colt, Springfield, Para and the rest some of which are OK guns but none are fitted and some are total junk.

There really is only one right way to fit a 1911. The frame rails are trued and sized, the slide is fitted to the frame and the barrel is fitted. In lockup, a fitted 1911 has the rear barrel lugs resting on the slide cross pin and just touching the top of the slide (it's secure). In an unfitted gun in lockup, the rear of the barrel is standing up on the end of the link so it can move around. Bottom line is there really are two kinds of 1911's: the ones that are fitted together and the ones where they make the parts with sufficient tolerance that min wage monkeys can throw them together without fitting the parts. STI is one of the former and IMHO, only paying about $300 more for that is a bargain.

Edited by bountyhunter