Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI Trojan 9mm

LLDJR

Gun will ship back to me today from STI, they turned it around in under 2-weeks, which is OK, I guess.

In the mean time, I bought a standard insert Dawson Ice Magwell and Tripp Cobra Magazines.

Will the Polymer base pads on the Tripp mags work with the Dawson Ice or do i need new based pads? I am not sure what the issue might be except they might go too deep into the Magwell.

Gun will ship back to me today from STI, they turned it around in under 2-weeks, which is OK, I guess.

In the mean time, I bought a standard insert Dawson Ice Magwell and Tripp Cobra Magazines.

Will the Polymer base pads on the Tripp mags work with the Dawson Ice or do i need new based pads? I am not sure what the issue might be except they might go too deep into the Magwell.

If Tripp hasnt shipped your mags yet, call and change the base pads to the .500x ones. They're a little longer for big magwells, but still fit the box.

Otherwise, the regular .500 one's will probably work ok, but the .500x are a little better.

I bought a 9mm Trojan from Dawson about 1 1/2 years ago. The slide-frame fit was so tight when it was new, I could only use light weight oil, not the gun grease I use on my Kimber Gold Combat II (a custom shop gun). I recommend going with Dawson. They offer what they call the "Enhanced Package". Dave Dawson does a trigger job (includes a Dawson sear spring), tunes the ejector, plus some other stuff I can't recall, and then zeros it at 25 yards. The trigger settled in at 2 3/4 lbs and the gun continues to run like a top.

I know there is a delay with Tripp mags due to the fires down in Texas. you might want to check dawson as they have some selection of 10 round mags. i think brownells sells metalform mags which i've heard are good but haven't actually used them. I stay away from wilsons because the one that i own won't run in my STI 9mm (i have no issues with their .45 mags though)

tripp is down because of the fire, but i went to wilson combat and they had them in stock. i ordered them thursday and they were sitting on my porch on friday.

I run the Wilson ETM's in mine. I love my Trojan. A buddy I work with bought his the same time I bought mine. He had less than 1000 rounds and recently traded it for a Colt 1911. They gave him $500 for his trade :o If I had known he was going to do that I would have bought it from him in a heartbeat!

your buddy is not very smart.

Still irks me that he let it go like that without telling me. It never did show up in the shops inventory. I was curious to see what kind of price they were going to put on it, but my guess is someone there saved it for themselves.

If you find your way to the extra $$, I'd suggest the Trojan,

although the Spartan is likely by far good enough for someone

just trying to figure out the "In's-n-Out's" so to speak..

If you're not decided on whether the "Game's" are for you, you

would be fine starting w/ the Spartan, it's a very good handgun

as well...

-E!-

Mine: 9mm, Trojan, Hard Chromed w/ ambi's and DP Ice IDPA 'well..

CompGunsI-1.jpg

Edited by gunfixer