Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Converting a 4.25 to 5 inch M & P 9

Rotorwrench

Hi all,

I have a 5 year old M & P 9 that has pretty much been a safe queen for the past 4 years and I was tossing around the idea of converting it to a 5 inch for 3 gun. I don't have a clue where to go to look for a 5" inch slide/barrel/spring set up and was hoping that I could find some answers here.

Appreciate any help,

Mike

Hi all,

I have a 5 year old M & P 9 that has pretty much been a safe queen for the past 4 years and I was tossing around the idea of converting it to a 5 inch for 3 gun. I don't have a clue where to go to look for a 5" inch slide/barrel/spring set up and was hoping that I could find some answers here.

Appreciate any help,

Mike

You used to be able to buy 5" slides direct from S&W. You'd have to call them for availability. You can use the springs from your 4.5.

5" M&P slides are basically "unavailable" from Smith & Wesson. The 9 and the 40.

They claim they are putting every one they build on new guns. I'm guessing they don't want to sell them, because you can then simply turn your full-size into a Pro for a few hundred bucks. I'm sure they have them for warranted repairs, but they'll keep your broken one.

Jeff

5" M&P slides are basically "unavailable" from Smith & Wesson. The 9 and the 40.

They claim they are putting every one they build on new guns. I'm guessing they don't want to sell them, because you can then simply turn your full-size into a Pro for a few hundred bucks. I'm sure they have them for warranted repairs, but they'll keep your broken one.

Jeff

Given how many reports I've seen lately of difficulty finding complete 5" guns, I'm inclined to believe them for now. I know someone who bought a slide and did the conversion about a year ago, though he is a S&W certified armorer.

Given how many reports I've seen lately of difficulty finding complete 5" guns, I'm inclined to believe them for now. I know someone who bought a slide and did the conversion about a year ago, though he is a S&W certified armorer.

IIRC Mike ordered them and waited many months for them to come in too.