Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

17 or 34 for work

Mike Singer

SO I'm going to start carrying a glock for work. I'm desided that It will be a 9mm. SO I'm between a 17 and a 34. I shoot a 34 in production. Anyone carry a 34 or use it for work/something other than sompetition?

I carry a 17 at work. I want to get a 34 for matches.

Not sure I could ride all day with the longer barrel pistol.

I carried a Glock 34 concealed for about five years. Having said that, I recently switched to a Glock 17 because my testing showed me I can shoot a 17 just as well as the 34. I'm more willing than most people to carry a large gun if it has the attributes I want otherwise, and it gives me a real advantage, i.e. I can shoot it better. OTOH it's just awfully hard to make a case for carrying the big gun when you can shoot the smaller gun just as well.

That is the best arguement I've heard so far Duane. I have no problem carrying a large frame gun. Hell it's an open carry anyway, but the little size and weight saving of the 17 when I shoot it just as well as the 34... looks like the 17 is the winner.

The G34 has a slightly longer side and barrel, also a "window" cutout to the top/forward portion of the slide so as to keep its overall weight (close to) the same as G17 so Glock could use the same recoil spring/assembly in both guns. Other than that, the G34 comes out-of-the-box with an extended slide stop, extended magazine release button, and a 4.5 pound connector versus the 5.5 pound connector standard in the G17.

I carry a 22 on duty and shoot a 34 in Production and 35 for L/L10. I know of 1 agency in S. LA that carries 34's for issued duty weapons. Most everybody else is carrying the standard models (17 or 22). Nothing wrong with either one, but the shorter one bothers me less when sitting in a patrol car for any length of time. I find that the longer one digs into the center console and/or the seatbelt base and pushes up into the bottom of my vest. After long periods I find myself sitting crooked. This is in a Crown Vic. No probs in the Tahoe.

I carry a 22 on duty and shoot a 34 in Production and 35 for L/L10. I know of 1 agency in S. LA that carries 34's for issued duty weapons. Most everybody else is carrying the standard models (17 or 22). Nothing wrong with either one, but the shorter one bothers me less when sitting in a patrol car for any length of time. I find that the longer one digs into the center console and/or the seatbelt base and pushes up into the bottom of my vest. After long periods I find myself sitting crooked. This is in a Crown Vic. No probs in the Tahoe.

Denham Springs, La. PD carries G34 only.

Walker, La. PD carries G34/G35.

Livingston Parish SRT and several others in La. carry G35.

The Safariland triple retention Raptor holster is used by many that carry without a light.

JBP55- You have GOT to be in the free state of Livingston Parish to know that! :roflol:

I grew up in EBR. I helped teach the LA POST Firearms Instructor school this year at the LPSO range in Walker (I was in the class there several years ago). I knew Denham carried the 34, but I didn't know so many others carried it there.

Take a 1911 and a G34 and put them on top of eachother. VERY similiar. G34 is only big compared to the G17. It's not big compared to the 1911 (a admittedly large gun). I can't see how if your standing around you would even notice the difference between a 17 and a 34. Seated the gun would ride up as a result of the seat. But that is user specific. I can sit with my G34 just fine. I don't think the G34 is a huge advantage over the 17 (if at all).