Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My practice target

Skynyrd

I cut out the A zone on a cardboard IPSC target then, I turn it around to where you see the no shoot, white side with the A zone missing. It makes you shoot A's. And if you hate to paste targets... you punish yourself when you have to go paste a white one. Also, I think that it promotes follow thru, by shooting thru the target. Makes me hold on the target a bit longer for a For Sure A. The eyes and brain tells me to be sure that the bullets hit the burm that I see thru the A zone.

• 2 weeks later...

I do something similar.

But since I am cheap and make my own targets, out of scrap brown cardboard, they aren't white on the back.

I use either a regular target, with everything but the A zone covered or painted over.

Or the opposite - the A zone a different color than the rest.

The effect is the same as yours, though.

It definitely helps to always focus on the A zones.

Good idea - I took it to the next level when I had a steel target custom made with a cut out A zone.

Hearing a *ding* means you're doing something wrong and there's a big difference between an Alpha and a Mike when it comes to sight pictures so I never worry that I'm missing anything.

I do this quite often too, but in a slightly different flavor.

A white paper plate is about the same size (maybe 1/2" larger) than the A-zone on an IDPA target. And fifty of them are two bucks or so.

I staple them to IDPA targets, and on a decent run, won't need to paste anything. We're only pasting the brown hits outside of the plate, here. Just shoot and shoot your drill or practice stage until the plates are shot to hell, tack new ones up, and keep going.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

I've done much the same thing, though typically I use the brown face of the target without cutting out the A zone, and just tape any holes outside. I find that, while it's good for me to learn to accept just the A zone as my target, it's also good to know more precisely where my hits go. I can often see a repeatable pattern developing if I let the target accumulate a few pairs: a tendency to pull the second shot to the left, or breaking the first shot early on the approach side when transitioning onto the target, are examples of things I've noticed.

Edited by kevin c