Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Yet another 9mm single stack build question

Canuck223

So after finding a bargin on an STI Spartan instead of the SAM 19119E I'd planned on getting, my wife and I discussed the kids future in shooting.

Short version, my boys seem eagre and are doing very well so far. If they continue to progress, we are considering making the 2013 Bianchi Cup our family vacation. The boys will be 6 months shy of 12 years old at that point.

Obviously, there is a lot of skill building and practice between then and now, and some equipment building along the way. With some chance that IPSC will be adopting it's own single stack 1911 division, (similar but G_d forbid it should be the same as USPSA L-10), building them a 5 inch 1911 in 9mm makes a lot of sense.

Assuming that the Spartan turns out to be a winner, buying a second would be a simple decision. However, I would like to hear your opinions.

I'm dealing with a set of twin boys, just shy of thier tenth birthday. Setting the guns up to properly fit thier hand size is not a problem. Making sure it's a good balance platform for them is another matter. I don't want to let my own preferences over ride common sense.

My thinking is that the smart move would be to buy an STI Trojan. As a 9mm running minor power factor, I don't think a bull barrel is needed. The added weight might not be an issue for me, but I wonder if it could make the gun too muzzle heavy for them. On the balance of things, I suspect that the standard bushing barrel is smarter for this application.

I've always prefered the ramped barrels, but wonder if it's truly worth it for 9mm minor?

Fire away.

Sounds like you have a plan mapped out already, which is good. Maybe someone can post threads that will give you an idea as to what others have done to their Spartan to make it race ready. Also threads on 9mm mags. Wilson and McCormick 10 rd. 38 Super mags have been known to work in some 9mm...might give them a try if you can borrow some. Bull barrel is not necessary because the extra meat in a 9mm barrel compared to the .45 makes it nose heavy to begin with IMHO. A short trigger might be in order for one or both. Don't know how good the factory trigger is but save it for later use just in case. Never throw any old part away IMHO. A rampped barrel is a good idea but to start I might wait...especially with minor loads.

Good Luck,

Richard

For mags, I'm hearing good things about the 10 round Metalform, and a short trigger and possibly thin grips are a given.

I was more interested in advice about the gun itself. Nothing sucks more than making an investment in something beyond your needs, unless you count not spending enough for the right equipment.....

I just went through something similar, although my son was 16 when we started him last year.

I put aside my personal preferences, and bought him an XDM. I wanted to minimize the gun-handling concerns while he became used to competing, and felt a gun that didn't require manual manipulation of the safety increased his ability to concentrate on other fundamentals.

A year and a half later, and he's yet to be so much as corrected by an SO during a match. And at our last match, he was eighth out of 60+ shooters, so I'm feeling like we made some good choices.

We've discussed moving him to a 1911, but he's really liking the XDM (obviously) and doesn't feel it's become a limitation yet.

Just something to consider, and I realize it's not what you asked about, so I apologize for going off-topic.

Larry

I think it would be cheaper to set up and feed a production gun like a M&P and a XDM, the guns would also be able to play in more games. Is there IDPA in your area ? watch the weight and go with a bushing so the gun would be ok in both sports.

Anyway you slice it they may end up out growing the 1911 9mm, guns last a long long time, they are gonna figure out major minor scoring and want a major gun, If I was set on 1911 platform I would go with a .40 you can download it to minor but as they grow they can switch to major with a simple spring and ammo change. A couple people are making 10 round and 9 round box legal magazines for 40.

If I wanted them shooting Production, they'd be shooting my GP6. The trigger is better and the recoil feel is fantastic.

The reason for the choice of 1911 is because it's easy to configure for a smaller hand. My boys are 9.5 years old. Thier finger tips end at the first joint of my own, and that makes the GP6 on the outside edge of thier comfort zone. With the 1911, I can use the short trigger and thin grips to reduce the reach for them.

As for the caliber, we also shoot NRA Action Pistol, so even if they move up to a .40 for IPSC, there's always the dedicated gun for Bianchi.

Ramped barrels are easier to tune, also one of their main advantages is ability to feed hollowpoints. Isnt Bianchi pretty accuracy dependent? A well fit Bull or bushing shouldnt make much difference, If you go with a short dustcover bushing barrel you can always add weight out front with tungston guide rod or remove it with a hollow GI rod, same with steel, aluminum, or plastic mainspring housings.

If it were me and I thought that a 1911 platform was where I wanted to move them up to I would go as mentioned above, with a 40. For me it would a Trojan 40 loaded to minor until there capable of shooting the major ammo comfortably. I wouldn't give the STIppling a second thought you can always put skate tape on it. Just a thought.

Is the focus IPSC or NRA AP? If it's AP, then a .40 would be less than ideal because they only need to make 120 power factor and a 120 pf .40 would make the mover a little more difficult

Is the focus IPSC or NRA AP? If it's AP, then a .40 would be less than ideal because they only need to make 120 power factor and a 120 pf .40 would make the mover a little more difficult

About 50/50, and at under 10 years old, I really can't see a .40 S&W.

At 9 I used to shoot a commander with factory ball ammo. It was fun. Made shooting major pretty easy later in life when it was 175. I bet your kids can handle a .40 particularly in minor. 120 is minimum. My .40 steel load is 135 and it feels better than a 9x19 shooting the same power factor. When they can handle major, they can shoot a ramped bushings barrel in ipsc, USPSA, IDPA, NRA, You name it.