Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

reloading for accuracy

L-10_shooter

I have been trying to decide what the order of importance is for reloading rifle rounds for accuracy. This goes for auto loaders and bolt action rifles. From your personal experience what is you order for the items below. Feel free to throw something in there if I missed it.

brass trim length

brass case volume

brass headstamp

# of times brass is fired

powder used

powder load close to max

bullet seat depth

bullet weight

bullet quality

cartridge overall length

barrel twist rate

velocity for a given caliber and bullet weight

if you go to 6mmbr.com you will see all the stuff people do for accuracy to their rounds. but if you read brad sauve's interview he is abolutely right. most important thing for accuracy is reading wind, there is no point getting that last 3/16 MOA if you cant read wind.

so i say:

1. Reading wind

2. Low single digit ES

3. Low single digit SD

after those few things I like an almost max capacity case with powder (4064 is my favorite), then seating depth

I dont turn/trim cases, i dont weigh brass and i stick to winchester brass because I just reload the brass i shot off from the 175g gr BTHP federal gold match factory ammo.

SMK's are great, never tried Berger but they are high quality

in a hunting rifle is stick with sierra gameking or nosler partitions.

Given you are using any decent load and bullet(for your rifle's twist rate), I believe bullet runout is a huge factor.

Compare the same load with .001"-.002" runout with a .005"+ lot and see for yourself. Its easy to make crooked ammo.

There are several ways to decrease runout. Google John Barsness and read his tips.

I have been trying to decide what the order of importance is for reloading rifle rounds for accuracy. This goes for auto loaders and bolt action rifles. From your personal experience what is you order for the items below. Feel free to throw something in there if I missed it.

brass trim length

brass case volume

brass headstamp

# of times brass is fired

powder used

powder load close to max

bullet seat depth

bullet weight

bullet quality

cartridge overall length

barrel twist rate

velocity for a given caliber and bullet weight

bullet quality

bullet quality

bullet quality

powder used

bullet seat depth

brass case volume

Consistency is the key.

Nick

Number 1 will always be bullet quality and consistency, bullets don't have to be expensive to be accurate. An expensive bullet with mediocre quality control won't necessarily be accurate.

Bullet weight and barrel twist

What powder and what load

As long as bullet tension is fairly consistent, most of the brass things listed are of minor importance.

Quality of the barrel has a lot to do with it

if you go to 6mmbr.com you will see all the stuff people do for accuracy to their rounds. but if you read brad sauve's interview he is abolutely right. most important thing for accuracy is reading wind, there is no point getting that last 3/16 MOA if you cant read wind.

so i say:

1. Reading wind

2. Low single digit ES

3. Low single digit SD

after those few things I like an almost max capacity case with powder (4064 is my favorite), then seating depth

I dont turn/trim cases, i dont weigh brass and i stick to winchester brass because I just reload the brass i shot off from the 175g gr BTHP federal gold match factory ammo.

Low ES and SD means very little to overall accuracy unless you get way out there.

so i say:

1. Reading wind

2. Low single digit ES

3. Low single digit SD

Low ES and SD means very little to overall accuracy unless you get way out there.

I agree but a bullet has to be accurate close to be accurate way out there. But i shoot long distance so that is the way i base my opinionated information. i admit if we want 100 yard benchrest accuracy my logic doesnt apply as much