Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Chambering; Dillon Gauge Questions

leftee

I'm loading 45acp with a Dillon 550B. I'm using mixed head, range found brass, and loading FMJ. I've noticed that about a third of my rounds will not case gauge. Some drop to the rim, but sort of hang there because the rim has been somehow deformed. Some don't make it to the rim because of bulging towards the rim. However, I've loaded about 900 rounds and all, but about 4, will freely chamber into my pistol's barrel. My present protocol has been to mark the ones that won't gauge, but will chamber; shoot them at the range, but don't reload them. So what's the deal? Is my experience typical? Is the Dillon gauge too tight? Is a Wilson gauge better? Should I be reloading the bulged cases that chamber but don't gauge?

Though not in 45 ACP, I saw the same problem with 9x19 reloads and a Dillion case gauge this past week.

I usually buy my once fired brass in lots of 3000 or so. I ran out of the batch I had been using and opened up a box of brass purchased last spring. Out of 200 rds loaded, six would not case gauge. Its been over a year since I'd seen this. All six would stick in the gauge at the rim. None appeared to be deformed, just a little larger in diameter than most of the others. And they were of mixed headstamp.

Since they all fit the chamber on my gun, I took them to the range and all fired without problems. I probably will not trust these rounds in a match, but they are just fine for a day of practice.

Bill

Many times there is a burr from the extractor in the groove /rim area. Take the round and spin the rim area against a file several times this will take the burr off and it should fit the case gauge.

Sizing issues can be checked by sizing a batch of case and seeing if the gauge. Size enough so you can see if it's a sizing issue. After that it's crimp or bullet seating. Bullet seating can be found by rolling the loaded ammo and looking for a wobble in the bullet. Crimp not bein removed enough can be found by using your dial calipers and measuring the mouth.

Just my 2 cents, but make sure you clean the gauge frequently. In my experience a single flake of gun powder will keep my 9mm's from dropping in the gauge. Some powder likes to cling to the lube on the case and trust me it won't fit in the gauge.

When I get a round like #2 or #3 I rotate it and drop again. Then I check for grime/powder, etc. With the Udie in the press I have about 1 in a thousand that are actually not sized right. It has always been contamination in the gauge for me.

Pic #1 is probably a burr on the rim like you say. It will fire fine. I come across them pretty often.

Okay. Now I feel foolish. First I cleaned the gauge with my bore snake, and about 25% of the "second quality" reloads gauged. Then I took a closer look at my resizing die. Sure enough it wasn't going down far enough. I had a spent case that I intended to leave at the range, but it landed in my range bag. It was bulged and wouldn't gauge any better than picture 2 or 3 above. After I lowered the sizing die and ran it through, it freely dropped in the gauge. Dang, I've probably disposed of about 150 brass cases that I simply failed to size properly.

Okay. Now I feel foolish. First I cleaned the gauge with my bore snake, and about 25% of the "second quality" reloads gauged. Then I took a closer look at my resizing die. Sure enough it wasn't going down far enough. I had a spent case that I intended to leave at the range, but it landed in my range bag. It was bulged and wouldn't gauge any better than picture 2 or 3 above. After I lowered the sizing die and ran it through, it freely dropped in the gauge. Dang, I've probably disposed of about 150 brass cases that I simply failed to size properly.

You're welcome. B)

JT

Honestly, I'm not sure how anyone got into reloading before having access to the Internet. The ability to ask more knowledgeble folks how to trouble shoot issues has been invaluable. Thanks.

Edited by leftee

Honestly, I'm not sure how anyone got into reloading before having access to the Internet. The ability to ask more knowledgeble folks how to trouble shoot issues has been invaluable. Thanks.

We are just passing on what others have shared with us when we were newbs. I was bailed out many times here and still look to this forum advice and guidance.

JT

I'm loading 45acp with a Dillon 550B. I'm using mixed head, range found brass, and loading FMJ. I've noticed that about a third of my rounds will not case gauge. Some drop to the rim, but sort of hang there because the rim has been somehow deformed. Some don't make it to the rim because of bulging towards the rim. However, I've loaded about 900 rounds and all, but about 4, will freely chamber into my pistol's barrel. My present protocol has been to mark the ones that won't gauge, but will chamber; shoot them at the range, but don't reload them. So what's the deal? Is my experience typical? Is the Dillon gauge too tight? Is a Wilson gauge better? Should I be reloading the bulged cases that chamber but don't gauge?

When I encounter 45 ACP brass which has a deformed rim I corect it with a file. I use the rounds and then save the cases for reloading.