Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Just fell off the turnip truck, first steps

ExActionGuy

Hello everyone, I am from Montana and have just today decided to start practical shooting competition. Can anyone guide me towards understanding the differences in the different associations? I intend on starting with my G-34, Bushmaster 5.56, and am thinking of getting the new Winchester autoloader as my first gun................ok, lemme have it ! ExActionGuy

Welcome!

These should help you get started...

USPSA www.uspsa.org

IDPA www.idpa.com

Then start looking through all the forums here.. Glock, 3-gun, etc..

They should start giving you enough key words for searches...

Welcome!

These should help you get started...

USPSA www.uspsa.org

IDPA www.idpa.com

Then start looking through all the forums here.. Glock, 3-gun, etc..

They should start giving you enough key words for searches...

Thanks much Dave, I got so excited about the FORUM, I lost my head and didn't just begin doing the searches myself. Thanks for your patience. JB

My take is that while there is a ton of stuff up here that WILL help you, the best thing to do is find a nearby USPSA club... show up... tell the MD you are just getting started... and shoot the match (and if you have children, bring them along and get them going too)!!! :D

Great sport! Great people! Great fun! ;)

Yep, get in touch with your local (relative word in your part of the country) Match Director and just go shoot. That is the best way to learn. And, it is lots quicker.

Oh...don't mind the rule debates on here too much. We often go back-and-forth just to get a few things wrinkled out. We have talk so many of the rule to death...that we just like to hear ourselves talk anymore.

I agree: Start reading the archives here and find your local people and introduce yourself. Practical shooters absolutely love new people they can try to mold in their image and give unsolicited equipment advice to. :)

You'll get more help than you can possibly deal with.

- Gabe

Thanks to all for the advice and encouragement. I read the "rules" and am pleased that they are nearly identical to the training I already conduct (Glock and M-4 Instructor for the "feds") I think this will be an easy transition for me, and loads of fun too. Looking forward to it. I have just talked with a friend and will be shooting my first time in Corpus Christi, TX. I live in Montana but work here in San Antonio often. I am very encouraged by the caliber of people I have found on here already, great crowd. Thanks again, JB