Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

627 PC

buckaroo45

I have a new to me early run Lew Horton 627 PC w/ a Carmoney trigger job. When sighting in w/ a new batch of Doug Carden 38 Short Colt ammo I had 8 misfires in the first 50 rounds. When I investigated the issue I found I could remove the firing pin with a magnmetic screwdriver. There is a hole in the frame underneath and slightly to the left of the rear sight that appears to be for a firing pin retention pin. The pin appears to be gone unless it's buried further down and I can't seem to locate any schematic that shows the hole or pin. Any ideas?

buck45

_______________________________________________________________________________________

"Don't shoot fast, unless you also shoot good." Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch

Remove the rear sight and see if there is a retaining pin present. The older PC guns have the firing pin retaining pin coming down from the top rather than the side like the newer guns. Did you remove the rear sight for any reason after getting it back?

Edited by Gregg K

OK. That's 4 of us so far that know about this. Oh and Jill at S&W. She knew the pin only cost 50 cents and she was gonna send me one free. Best customer service I've seen in a long time. Kudos to S&W if you're listening. And a thank you to those who responded. :cheers:

Shooting revolver is somewhat like dating a full figured, less than stunning woman

-it's comfortable

-it will almost never disappoint you

-it's not finicky

-you can feed it nearly anything

-it doesn't care much about OAL

-it's stout, reliable, and durable

-you don't need to clean it much

-you can dryfire it all the time

I have an early model 627 and learned this one the hard way. Had the sight off and dry fired the gun. Heard something hit the floor, took me a while to figure out what had happened. I had a collection of small drill bits that I had broken off doing carpenter work, found one that fit perfect :ph34r: That is how a carpenter works on his guns.

Tom

Just to put a cap on this thread, the drill bit size is 5/64ths.

Thx again

____________________________________________________________________________________

Those who do not take an interest in public affairs are doomed to be ruled by evil men ~ PLATO, 300 BC

I had a collection of small drill bits that I had broken off doing carpenter work, found one that fit perfect :ph34r: That is how a carpenter works on his guns.

Tom

A "good" carpenter would use an oversize nail and beat it in so it wouldn't come out again.