Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Steel Challenge 38 super loads

Steamman

Hi all, I am looking for a suggested load for my brand new STI Match Master in 38 Super, I already have new Star Line Brass and 125 grain Laser Cast bullets, any suggestions on Powder and Primers ?

You plan on using lead bullets in an Open comped pistol? Really?

Yes I want to use lead, do you think it's a problem ? The laser cast are very hard 24 BHN I use them for other loads but I am thinking I may have a problem with leading in the comp. Do you think this is true ?

Well, being a minor or sub-minor load, it may not be too bad but usually, lead bullets really cause build-up issues in the comps. I would be careful and watch your comp. When build-up happens in the comp, it can affect accuracy and even reliability. I have never used lead in any of my Open guns but I've read several people on here and what they've been through with lead and comp'ed guns. Good luck.

I have a friend that casts his own bullets and shoots them in his 9mm open gun. He only uses the lead when loading for steel matches. Even at slower speeds he needed to find just the right combination to keep the lead in his comp at an acceptable level.

He uses 147 gr .356 lead bullets and just a couple of powders. AutoComp is one of those powders and I don't remember the other powder right now or the amount of powder. I was with him when he tried about 10-12 different powders and loads and he only had a couple that had soft shooting and minimal leading.

I use VV320, but 320 and some of the others that were tried left too much lead in the comp. Maybe they were too hot and melted some of the lead.

I called my friend and it seems AutoComp is his second choice.

He uses 5.2gr HS-6 with a 125gr hard cast bullet. This gives him about 1025 fps and about 3gr of lead in the barrel for 100 rounds.

• 2 weeks later...

I've shot literaly thousands of rounds thru a comp, I've got a gun just for steel and all I shoot is lead, before each time you shoot, put a drop of oil in each port, you should have little to no build up, when you do notice some, reoil and run some jacketed bullets thru to clean out the comp.

I have been shooting lead through various comps for a couple of decades and never had a problem. Best to test your gun.

However, for 9mm and .38 Super, the jacketed bullets from MG, Zero, and PD are simply too inexpensive not to shoot the very best.

For .40 and .45, I will stick to cast/swaged lead.