Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

ambi controls for right handed shooter

PerfectDouble

I'm sure the topic title is rather confusing. Sorry about that.

I'm a right handed shooter ordering/building a rifle for open division, and I wanted to know if ambi controls (i.e. safety selector, mag release, bolt catch release) are useful or not. (E.g. do you ever find yourself in situations in which you are shooting weak hand and need to operate any of these controls?) Or is it just added complexity (one more thing to break during a match)?

Specifically, I am considering using the Battle Arms Development Ambi-Safety Selector [bAD-ASS], Norgon Ambi-Mag Catch, and MagPul Battery Assist Device [bAD].

Thanks.

I have never needed ambi anything. I had my first JP built with am ambi safety simply so I could activate it with my index finger without having to rotate the gun slightly to catch the regular selector with my thumb. I removed it a few months later when I realized it was just another knob that could get hung up on the edge of a barrel or table which could turn the safety back off and get me a DQ.

an ambi selector switch is very useful to quicky snick on and off the safety when youre moving from shooting position to shooting position during a course of fire. For a righty; thumb down, safety off--- finger off the trigger and flick it back to flip up the switch from vertical to safe, and youre good to move, or dump the gun at a barrel.

Sometimes, the rt side of the ambi interferere with the trigger press, all it needs is to be trimmed or reshaped.

I believe what I just explained is very easy to train and is a good safety regimen.

I can't say I've used a ambi safety, but ambi bolt release is pretty handy for a right handed shooter since you can just reach up with your index finger instead of using your weak hand thumb or changing your grip and using strong hand thumb.

I use an ambi safety only...I'm trying to master the change of hand position between (1)grip/trigger to (2) support on mag well... ala the VTAC Highsmith Rifle drill, applying the safety during the transition....weak to strong barricade shooting is popular around here

• 11 months later...

I seem to shoot a lot of support side positions during matches so I have a Magpul BAD lever and a BADASS on all of my ARs now and I really think they are te way to go. I used to rub the frame with my index finger which bugged me and affected accuracy so the Hybrid lever fixed the problem for me. See the pics here to see what I'm talking about. This is a little review I did of the BADASS.

http://www.recoilsports.com/2012/07/review-of-the-battle-arms-development-ambi-safety-selector-b-a-d-a-s-s/

Try the combo out. It's a pretty cheap and easy upgrade to play with.

I run a BAD lever and a BAD-ASS ambi on my Stag 3g. Love them both and can't imagine not having them. I shoot a bit with both shoulders and I prefer to have everything ambi when possible. It makes for less awkward moments when on support side and I find myself using the safety on the right side of the gun quite a bit.