Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why 5" bbl?

gr7070

As I understand it, most of y'all prefer a 5" gun, or possibly longer, for competition.

I shoot a 4" 686 in IDPA and a 4" 617 in Steel Challenge, and like them both quite a bit.

I'm looking to get a 627 for Steel Challenge and other fun, and thought I'd prefer the 4", but may pursue a 5" buy.

So why do y'all prefer the 5"? The balance, the sight radius? What else is there?

Hello: Since it takes less powder to make major and I can't find a 6" :roflol: Really it depends on you and what you like to shoot. I like the 4" 617 over the 6" but some prefer the 6". For IDPA you are limited to a 4" barrel. For USPSA I have seen 4", 5" and 6" revolvers used. Sight radius is one reason as well :cheers: Thanks, Eric

Another note, when compared to my 4" 617 10rd the 5" 627PC does not feel as muzzle heavy at all... I purchased the 4" 617 as the 5" inch was not offered and the 6" just seemed too long... I like 5" barrels on revolvers, and if IDPA didn't change the rules I am sure more 5" revolvers would be around. (S&W discontinued the 5" 625 in .45acp back in 2005?) I also have a 4" 625PC inbound but would prefer a 5" if S&W made one.

I like the longer sight radius and the balance. (I also like 5" 1911's and 5.3" Glocks.)

theres nothing wrong with a 4 inch barrel for uspsa but if you want to shoot better at long distance then a longer barrel is king.I shoot a 6.5 inch in uspsa and the longer sight radius works better for point shooting

I started out with and 6.5" M-25 and thought it was the cat's a$$. I then got a 5" M-625 and found out that it balances just as well and had a better trigger.(Apex Tactical Job). I now have two 6.5" M-25 and two 5" M-625. I shoot them all interchangeably with very good results, at least for me. The extra length on the 25 and the underlug on the 625 seem to balance out, and the sight radius is much better than the 4", especially at longer ranges with my old eyes.

The successful shooters almost always wind up gravitating to 5" (or longer) tubes on their USPSA revolvers. The extra sight radius and the additional recoil-dampening effect are the main reasons.

Steel challenge is all transitions, so a light gun may be better for most. I have a 5" V-comp, and it's a bit of a pig for that game. Nice for Icore, though. I shot a 627 .38 super the other week, I think it's 6.5", nice balance.