Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

550 Upgrades

I really like the Redding Comp Seating die. It makes it easy to really fine tune the OAL as well as change it between different loads.

After reading the opinions here I'm thinking if I do any upgrades it will be the Redding comp seating die.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Do they make a Redding Comp Seating Die for pistol calibers or is just for rifle? Do they make a similar die for pistol?

Yes they make it for pistol as well.

Kevin,

Do you get much variation on the OAL in the 550? This was touched on in another post and then I re-read this about the Redding competition dies.

I see very very little variation once my Dillon or Lee dies are in, set, and tightened down. Is this something that creeps in as them machine ages...mines basically brand new. I have only loaded about 1500 rounds so far. :unsure:

Undrpsi

• 2 weeks later...

Do they make a Redding Comp Seating Die for pistol calibers or is just for rifle? Do they make a similar die for pistol?

Yes they make it for pistol as well.

Kevin,

Do you get much variation on the OAL in the 550? This was touched on in another post and then I re-read this about the Redding competition dies.

I see very very little variation once my Dillon or Lee dies are in, set, and tightened down. Is this something that creeps in as them machine ages...mines basically brand new. I have only loaded about 1500 rounds so far. :unsure:

Undrpsi

Sorry, don't know why I didn't see this before now.

I get very consistent oals out of my Dillon die. Since it is a pain in the butt to adjust I tried the Redding Comp seater and found it was less consistent than my Dillon for some reason. I prefer consistency over convenience any day. I probably have over 20,000 loaded on mine so far and I have found no link to age of the machine and any oal problems.

Does anyone have experience with the Hit Factor Shooting Supply kits? I can't add a link, but they are at hitfactorshooting dot com. I saw them in the latest Front Sight. I was thinking about getting the premium shell plate kit for my 550.

Does anyone have experience with the Hit Factor Shooting Supply kits? I can't add a link, but they are at hitfactorshooting dot com. I saw them in the latest Front Sight. I was thinking about getting the premium shell plate kit for my 550.

Utraab,

These are the same kits on Ebay and available through dealers sponsored on this forum.

I actually asked about this in another post. From the responses I got most said they did nothing or only slightly improved it. The consensus was they work on the 650 but the 550 doesn't really need them. If you go back and look up the post you'll find you can actually buy these bearings from mcmaster.com (McMaster Carr) for about $6. The starwheel will have to be modified so the bolt-->shellplate-->starwheel has the correct spacing. That's why the kits come with new star wheels. The Uniquetec has a plastic starwheel and some (like hitfactor) come with metal ones. YMMV...

link to similiar thread...

Undrpsi

Edited by Undrpsi

Utraab,

These are the same kits on Ebay and available through dealers sponsored on this forum.

I actually asked about this in another post. From the responses I got most said they did nothing or only slightly improved it. The consensus was they work on the 650 but the 550 doesn't really need them. If you go back and look up the post you'll find you can actually buy these bearings from mcmaster.com (McMaster Carr) for about $6. The starwheel will have to be modified so the bolt-->shellplate-->starwheel has the correct spacing. That's why the kits come with new star wheels. The Uniquetec has a plastic starwheel and some (like hitfactor) come with metal ones. YMMV...

link to similiar thread...

Undrpsi

Thanks! I was thinking about it before and I came to the conclusion that my 550 doesn't really need the "upgrade". I do think that the thumbscrews would be nice to have though, so I might just try those out.