Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

roockie q's

I am curently setting up a (new to me) 550b...

so a few questions...

1. what areas do you lube (if any)on the press?

2. Can I ask about sd loads here? (seems a lot of sd threads get the ax) If not what is a good forum for this info?

a. I bought for uspsa, but now I am curious as to sd loads of course. :D

3. does it matter what side the powder bar rod (#97000) is seated on?

4. what manual(s) should I get to start with? Cabelas has tons...not that I want to limit my option from them, they are just close.

5. what pm do you to do your 550? cleaning schedule? what to watch for on parts etc?

I have been reading tons on this site so if this data is out there, I apologize for the bandwidth...I just haven't found it.

Edited by jswitt99

so a few questions...

1. what areas do you lube (if any)on the press? I use mobile one on the shaft. I bought a little air tool grease gun from the snap on guy that will actually inject grease into those little holes at most of the joints. Press hard and inject. I also put a little grease under the shell plate as well. Do not put anything on, under or near the primer slide. Oil attracts all of the crud that comes out of the old primers. Just keep that area clean and dry.

2. Can I ask about sd loads here? (seems a lot of sd threads get the ax) If not what is a good forum for this info?

You can ask all you want about self defense loads. Most replies tend to be something like, "don't use reloads for self defense for a few reasons, they may be unreliable, and they may put more liability on you in the event you actually use one". Or words to that effect.

3. does it matter what side the powder bar rod (#97000) is seated on? The diagram shows it coming from rear to front.

4. what manual(s) should I get to start with? Cabelas has tons...not that I want to limit my option from them, they are just close. The Lee books are pretty informative and the Lyman 48th edition is full of good stuff. Also, don't forget to read the reloading forums here for more than enough info to digest in a life time.

5. what pm do you to do your 550? cleaning schedule? what to watch for on parts etc? I just tore mine apart the other night and did a total detail job. Probably had 10-15k rounds on it and I just felt like taking it apart to be sure. I found no parts that needed changed. Generally I keep it wiped down and pay close attention to the priming system. When something starts acting screwy on the press I give it some attention. The 550's priming system is probably the area I would call "High maintenance". When it starts skipping primers, etc I take it off and clean it or make minor adjustments. I learned that if the press is running perfect to leave it alone! Clean out the dies every few thousand rounds or so as well.

I have been reading tons on this site so if this data is out there, I apologize for the bandwidth...I just haven't found it.

The 550 is a great machine that often seems to get overshadowed by it's big brother the 650. The 550 is more than a great press for even the more serious shooter.

You made a great choice. Just keep it fed with quality components and it will do the rest.

A drop of oil in the small holes at pivot points. I like to use powdered graphite to lube the primer slide with, it can be purchased at hardware stores in the lock dept.

The forums are a good place to check for loads, check out Handloads.com for other loading data.

The powder rod needs to pass through the large slot then the small hole in the powder measure linkage.

Don't have a favorite manual but suggest you read through one along with the manual that came with the press. Should make adjusting dies easier along with understanding the loading process. Ask one of your club members that's been reloading to help set the dies, usually one will help a new reloader. You'll need a dial caliper, one from Harbor Freight will work fine.

I've never really cleaned my press and it's been cranking out ammo over twenty five years. I have an air compressor handy and use it to blow away dirt and trash. A can of spray air from an Office supply or Walmart will work. Also keep a small brush, AR rifle type close on the bench.

Spend a few minutes to check level on the machine, it will help it run smoother. Always put the cap back on the powder measure as soon as you've added powder or checked the weight on a load. If a primer finds it's way into the measure then you have a problem.

It's a simple process that requires attention, someone comes in the room stop, finish the conversation then start back. I find it's best not to clear the machine unless your going to another caliber or load, bullet etc. Walk away with the shell plate full. When you come back always push the handle up to be sure the primer in station one is seated. Stand or sit so that you can see the powder in station three before placing the bullet. It should look the same every time, if not find out why before seating the bullet.

Hope you enjoy your machine, reloading half the fun.

so a few questions...

1. what areas do you lube (if any)on the press? I use mobile one on the shaft. I bought a little air tool grease gun from the snap on guy that will actually inject grease into those little holes at most of the joints. Press hard and inject. I also put a little grease under the shell plate as well. Do not put anything on, under or near the primer slide. Oil attracts all of the crud that comes out of the old primers. Just keep that area clean and dry.

You can ask all you want about self defense loads. Most replies tend to be something like, "don't use reloads for self defense for a few reasons, they may be unreliable, and they may put more liability on you in the event you actually use one". Or words to that effect.

3. does it matter what side the powder bar rod (#97000) is seated on? The diagram shows it coming from rear to front.

4. what manual(s) should I get to start with? Cabelas has tons...not that I want to limit my option from them, they are just close. The Lee books are pretty informative and the Lyman 48th edition is full of good stuff. Also, don't forget to read the reloading forums here for more than enough info to digest in a life time.

5. what pm do you to do your 550? cleaning schedule? what to watch for on parts etc? I just tore mine apart the other night and did a total detail job. Probably had 10-15k rounds on it and I just felt like taking it apart to be sure. I found no parts that needed changed. Generally I keep it wiped down and pay close attention to the priming system. When something starts acting screwy on the press I give it some attention. The 550's priming system is probably the area I would call "High maintenance". When it starts skipping primers, etc I take it off and clean it or make minor adjustments. I learned that if the press is running perfect to leave it alone! Clean out the dies every few thousand rounds or so as well.

The 550 is a great machine that often seems to get overshadowed by it's big brother the 650. The 550 is more than a great press for even the more serious shooter.

You made a great choice. Just keep it fed with quality components and it will do the rest.

so, I understand the arguement of "custom" anything and sd with regards to lawyers. I don't want to start that thread...

But, if I am reloading for uspsa for accuracy, what does sd have to do with reliablitly? I thought I was reloading for reliability?

Again, if this goes to the lawyer answer, I will not continue the question. I just thought, if my loads are good for uspsa, they should be good for sd? (or at least reloading)...Point me to the links if this is the case, and I will learn. Ranger always worked in the past, I just want to carry what I practice I guess...bad idea?

again, rookie q's... :cheers:

Edited by jswitt99

after searching again, I found quite a bit of info on sd reloads.

I will continue to research, as I see that the rest of the question was quite a rookie question. I will refine my sd load question later in my curve...

thanks to all that answered my silly question in the beginning...

j

so, I understand the arguement of "custom" anything and sd with regards to lawyers. I don't want to start that thread...

But, if I am reloading for uspsa for accuracy, what does sd have to do with reliablitly? I thought I was reloading for reliability?

Again, if this goes to the lawyer answer, I will not continue the question. I just thought, if my loads are good for uspsa, they should be good for sd? (or at least reloading)...Point me to the links if this is the case, and I will learn. Ranger always worked in the past, I just want to carry what I practice I guess...bad idea?

again, rookie q's... :cheers:

There are many more quality controls with major manufactured ammo, it has been tested (in all kinds of ways!). The biggest reason not to use it is the legal ramifications that could arise if you were to "use" it.

As far as USPSA loading for reliability, major ammo is more than likely to be much more reliable (in the fact it will go bang just about every time) versus handloaded ammo. We handload ammo to tailor the round to our guns and/or the way we want the gun to feel (recoil, impulse, lower PF than factory ammo, etc.).

Stick with the Ranger.... Put it this way, if you shoot what the cops shoot, what can a court say about it?

I thought I was reloading for reliability?

Loading more for custom feel, accuracy, etc. NOT reliability.

I am very, VERY, careful when I reload. I chamber check every round that comes off the press. I know with absolute certainty that my ammo will work in my gun for a match. Many people are not so particular judging by the number of shooters I see at matches with ammo that won't feed/chamber in their guns. Imagine the ONE ROUND you forgot to chamber check or had a slightly high primer in being the one your life depended on. No Thanks!