Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Does the solid stainless guide rod make a difference?

joedodge

Hello all my xd tactical has the stock hollow guide rod and a 16 pound recoil spring in it. Im wondering if the solid stainless guide rods make a actual difference in recoil? I wanted to use the tungsten guide rods but dont think it will make the +2 ounce rule in production any expierence or help will be great.

I used those fishing weights: cabelas

I can't remember exactly what size were they (maybe 1/4oz), but 6 of them fit almost perfect inside the guide rod.

I know its kinda MacGyverish, but its inexpensive and if you don't like it you can remove them.

Edited by e-mishka

Wow what an idea i contimplated using lead weights i didnt know they made tungsten fishing weights im deffinatly gonna give this a try. Thanks so much.

Can't claim that its my idea ;) (got it from xdtalk forums)

I also filled void space between weights inside the rod with tungsteen putty and sealed it all with jbweld.

Toal weight of the guide rod now just about 75 grams.

• 2 weeks later...

I think it made a world of differnce in my XDm 40 4.5.... I was getting a little bit of muzzle flip with the stock guide rode.

Same here! A HUGE difference . . . less recoil and my sight picture returns faster.

A gain of 1.14 ounces, in my 40 XDm.

Edited by Reshoot

Hello all my xd tactical has the stock hollow guide rod and a 16 pound recoil spring in it. Im wondering if the solid stainless guide rods make a actual difference in recoil? I wanted to use the tungsten guide rods but dont think it will make the +2 ounce rule in production any expierence or help will be great.

I have two XDm's... one with SS and one with Tungsten, you will gain some reduction in felt recoil with the tungsten, but none with the SS. I like the SS simply for the looks and the soild construction. The legal production weight for your XD is 32oz with an empty mag inserted, I think the factor weight is listed at 30oz... but not sure if that is factored with the empty mag. Best bet toss it on a scale ansd see if it will make weight!

I have two XDm's... one with SS and one with Tungsten, you will gain some reduction in felt recoil with the tungsten, but none with the SS. I like the SS simply for the looks and the soild construction. The legal production weight for your XD is 32oz with an empty mag inserted, I think the factor weight is listed at 30oz... but not sure if that is factored with the empty mag. Best bet toss it on a scale ansd see if it will make weight!

Say what?! You add over one ounce of weight the the fore end of a 30 ~ 32 ounce gun, and you can tell no difference in felt recoil? Is this what you are saying?

Wow, I just picked up a new XD 40 and can't wait to change the rod and spring. This thing is hard to rack.

My 1911 has 9lbs spring and I use reloads which is great for weekly shooting.

M.Fixitman

XD's aren't 1911's so light recoil springs will not work, if you go too light on the recoil spring the firing pin spring will want to pull the slide out of battery.

Rich