Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone run this combo ? and how to get major w/ it...

RippSpeed

Currently starting to learn how to do reloads got buddys whos teaching me but none of them loads 40sw (mostly 9mm and 223) ...

I'm using Montana Gold 180fmj with Winchester WST and Winchester primers ...

Anyone use this combo and know a good recipes for a soft major ??? I've search, either I'm blind or just not using the correct combonationof words to find what I'm looking for...

Edited by RippSpeed

I've found that for some reason it helps to put a "+" between search terms, such as "180+wst"

I think it makes it search for both terms in the thread rather than either term.

Here are a couple, out of the 7 pages that the search returned.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=128985&st=0&p=1472625&hl=180+wst&fromsearch=1entry1472625

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=128798&st=0&p=1452460&hl=180+wst&fromsearch=1entry1452460

Loading WST for Major, should only be used if loading long OAL. 1.2" Loading at shorter lengths has a high chance of kaboom.

This is what i have read from people that use it.

I personally use WSF with no issues at shorter (1.135") or long OAL's(1.2").

WST LOA 1.85, 180g Montana Gold JHP, 4.8g, WSP Primer, 170PF. I shot two cases of bullets with this load.

I consider this a great load.

I'm a believer in WST in the 40 with the MG 180g bullets and the Bayou 200g & 180g coated bullets.

Currently I load the WST, 3.9g with the 200g Bayou as my new favorite, 170PF.

My KART 5" barrel really likes WST!

I like WSF as well, with Precision Delta 165 FMJs it makes major quite easily out of my Glock 35. WST seemed to be just a bit to fast and I also prefer a powder that fills more of the case and has a higher charge weight than WST. When you start throwing charges below 4grns there is to much room for error. If your measure throws a charge that is .2 grns over, that is a much larger percentage than with a 5.5 grn charge. If you are pushing the upper limits that can be bad, but also if it throws one under you might not make powerfactor at a match, not the mention the possibility of a double charge.

I like WSF as well, with Precision Delta 165 FMJs it makes major quite easily out of my Glock 35. WST seemed to be just a bit to fast and I also prefer a powder that fills more of the case and has a higher charge weight than WST. When you start throwing charges below 4grns there is to much room for error. If your measure throws a charge that is .2 grns over, that is a much larger percentage than with a 5.5 grn charge. If you are pushing the upper limits that can be bad, but also if it throws one under you might not make powerfactor at a match, not the mention the possibility of a double charge.

WSF :cheers:

180 gr. Presision Delta bullet

CCI 500 primer

5.6 gr. WSF

OAL, 1.10 ~ 1.12

170 power factor

This is for my STI Edge ... I've already have 8lbs of WST, 5000primers from Winchester, 4000 once fired/cleaned brass and 2500bullet heads of 180gr FMJ from Montana Gold. So cant change stuff around this is what my buddies advised me to purchase... So I need to find the right reciepy to make this combo go for Major...

Anyone have suggestion for over all lenght and how much powder to make major ???

your gonna make major somewhere between 4.2 and 5, for an edge I lod most stuf at 1.180 for my 1911 and 2011 platform guns. You'll have to chrono. WST is a great powder for 40, works great with Moly also. Slower than Clays and TG, takes up alot of room in the case.

• 2 weeks later...

WST LOA 1.85, 180g Montana Gold JHP, 4.8g, WSP Primer, 170PF. I shot two cases of bullets with this load.

I'm a believer in WST in the 40 with the MG 180g bullets and the Bayou 200g & 180g coated bullets.

When you say LOA is that over all lenght ??? Factory loads are like 1.126 OAL... And I found out that my Edge is having feeding issues when there's a slight case buldge...

I'm going to follow you reciepy and see if I can get the power factor... Thanx in advance for your info

When you say LOA is that over all lenght ??? Factory loads are like 1.126 OAL... And I found out that my Edge is having feeding issues when there's a slight case buldge...

I'm going to follow you reciepy and see if I can get the power factor... Thanx in advance for your info

Yes, "LOA" = Length over all, or more correctly put "COL", cartridge Overall Length. I load all my 40 to 1.185 as this is what my mags are adjusted with and never a feed problem.

• 2 weeks later...

Having issues... I wanted to follow your reciept dugout but I can't get "over all lenght" ... I set the dye @ 1.185... set the dye @ 1.185 wih the round empty no new primer or powder. But I loaded it with powder and new primer over all lenght was 1.2

Making sure your taking about 1.185 because factory Federal HST's are 1.125 ...

RL550, right? Never adjust any of the dies unless all the stations also have cases in them.

nope square deal ... I'm having a peta of a time to get the right over all length ... I had it set @ 1.185 with no primer and powder in the case. And when I started loading the loads came out 1.200 and 1.196 ...

How do I adjust the 3rd stage where in presses the bullet in ...

RL550, right? Never adjust any of the dies unless all the stations also have cases in them.

nope square deal ... I'm having a peta of a time to get the right over all length ... I had it set @ 1.185 with no primer and powder in the case. And when I started loading the loads came out 1.200 and 1.196 ...

How do I adjust the 3rd stage where in presses the bullet in ...

With WST you will need 5.1gr with the 180gr MTG set 1.180-1.185. This of course assumes your barrel is in the normal range. Adjust OAL when all stations are full, when brass is not in the sizing die you get shorter OAL.

Dugout and CocoBolo and everyone else... Thank you the info I'm really enjoying loading its a very good stress reliever for me and its really gratifying to do my own loads and they feel really good shooting ... Thank you again

Dugout and CocoBolo and everyone else... Thank you the info I'm really enjoying loading its a very good stress reliever for me and its really gratifying to do my own loads and they feel really good shooting ... Thank you again

Good deal! I'm glad it's working for you. I think you will find 1.19- 1.195 is not too long as long as your mags will handle the length and the chamber can accept that length.

Good deal! I'm glad it's working for you. I think you will find 1.19- 1.195 is not too long as long as your mags will handle the length and the chamber can accept that length.

STI Mags will handle 1.200 and all of my Edge guns have run with that length, but settled on 1.180-1.185, for no particular reason.

I chrono'ed today... Both 4.8gr and 5.1gr had a OAL of 1.185...

The 4.8gr had a hi of 985 and a lo of 957 scored a 172pf

While the 5.1gr had a hi of 1025 and a lo of 1003 scored a 183pf ...

So going to load 4.6gr and 4.4gr and chrono it next weekend...