Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Please review and provide feedback of my performance

justaute

All,

If you have a moment, please critique my performance in the below videos. I think I know the skills on which I need to work and be able to prioritize them. My own learning points include:

1. front sight focus while on the move; sight picture, trigger control, and follow-through (minimize double tapping)

2. straighter, shorter strides

3. quicker exit from each target array

I started shooting in January and realize I need to work on several facets of my game. Any constructive input from you is appreciated.

Edited by justaute

Are you shooting are you shooting limited or L10 / SS minor?

As far as picking which target to shoot...

When you come into an array... shoot targets from....

top to bottom: It is much easier to find a target as you bring the front post UP onto it since you see the target a opposed to dropping the gun down onto it and having the target covered up by the pistol itself(Talking about the 1st video, 2nd array) I would have shot that bottom target first.

and easiest to difficult... if you are aiming at a far target first it takes longer to get squared up as you enter an array on the move... that close target in the 1st video 2nd array is real easy to hit, I would shoot this target first... as I let the shots off my body would naturally fall into position/feet get planted... that way when I move to the next/farther target I'll be standing still and not moving while trying to get a post onto it.

Your pretty good for only starting in January!

MIke.

Edited by mikeg1005

Singlestack -- I appreciate your input. I'll definitely try to be more cognizant of keeping the gun higher.

Mike -- that makes sense. I need to get stabilize my balance first. Thanks for the compliment. I just need to shoot more as I was shooting on average one match a month. As of late, given my work schedule, I'm unable to practice during the week, so I'm trying to shoot more local matches on the weekend. I want to be competitive at Area 4. :devil:

To tell you the truth, on video you look pretty good, but looking at the results you are dropping way, way, way too many points. I think you were just trying to go too fast. When you're shooting production, you've got to get your points

Faster transitions and slower splits. That and find a way to practice more. Like I told you before once your shooting ability catches up with your athletic ability we're all going to be in trouble. Of course I'm just a C shooter so take that for what it's worth.

To tell you the truth, on video you look pretty good, but looking at the results you are dropping way, way, way too many points. I think you were just trying to go too fast. When you're shooting production, you've got to get your points

I agree with this. I think the biggest improvement in your match scores will come from converting M's and D's to C's and A's.

Refining all of the little things that shave hundredths of seconds here and there is a "lifelong" pursuit we all share, but I think having the confidence and ability to make every shot on the stage at hand is the bedrock the rest should be built on.

It is a huge advantage to be able to practice every day, without a doubt. However, you can practice your trigger control anywhere - even in bed before you fall asleep. Keep working on developing that trigger control muscle memory - in DA and SA - and keep your eyes on the front sight and your accuracy will improve leaps and bounds.

Also, are you aiming at a spot on the target, or just at the brown blob? That would make a big difference as well.

Thanks, all, for your constructive feedback.

- Points: I definitely dropped way too many. Usually, I can get 85% to 90% of the available points -- when I slow down have get that sight-focus. I just need to slow down on the splits as JCReid pointed out. Jeremy, again, it was a pleasure shooting with you.

- Transition: I often seem to "linger" when getting into and leaving a target-array. I'm now more cognizant of speeding up those transitions; unfortunately, I let the speeding-up creep into my splits. I need to better manage my shooting experience while in the moment; or, as BE pointed out in his book, be more "aware."

- Target focus: I often still just look/stare at the brown-blob and not aiming at the A-zone. Need to do something about that.

- Dryfire: Need to do a lot more of it, especially sight-picture and the associated trigger control. Although I don't have any disposable time for live-fire practice, I need to incorporate more dryfire drills into my weekdays.

Again, I appreciate all the input.

btw...don't give me this "c" class shooter crapola. :sight::rolleyes: You lost to an M-class shooter, the HOA winner, by 8/100th of a percent. :bow:

Faster transitions and slower splits. That and find a way to practice more. Like I told you before once your shooting ability catches up with your athletic ability we're all going to be in trouble. Of course I'm just a C shooter so take that for what it's worth.

btw...don't give me this "c" class shooter crapola. :sight::rolleyes: You lost to an M-class shooter, the HOA winner, by 8/100th of a percent. :bow:

This only further stresses the importance of finding your front sight and getting your points. One more A is always better.

True. Nicely put.

This only further stresses the importance of finding your front sight and getting your points. One more A is always better.

• 1 month later...

looks good. From what I can see. the other feedback about your hits is right on. You can't miss fast enough to win. Again keep the gun up, know where your going before you decide to move. in the second video your feet seem to not be connected to your body as though your not exactly sure were your next move is coming from. thats in stage prep. pick a spot on the ground and move to it. you got happy feet. happy feet usually means trying to go faster than you can shoot. I think if you slow down get your hits you score will be a ton better if not your times also. Also make sure your picking a spot on the target to shoot. I know some times I will blast away on targets close to each other and all i see is a blur of a dot on a blob of brown. I always get better times and hits when I see a stable dot on a crisp in focus target.

Mat -- Thanks for sharing an astute observation. I definitely need to be more fastidious with my stage plan.

Well, I think I have made some progress. In the below video, other than the draw, I think I did ok here; however, this stage was really a bit too simple to yield any meaningful observation. FWIW...I have set a goal of getting 90% of raw points for each stage. Thus far, I'm bouncing between 85% to 93% for the past couple of local matches. Need to be more consistent.

Edited by justaute

You dumped a mag and ran, reloaded the gun while running and decelerating at your next shooting position?

Kill that reload as your feet plant to push off, and your first shot at the next shooting position will be out of the gun more quickly. Try it on the timer. Loading while accelerating is almost always the winning strategy, but you have to pick up the speed on the load a bit to pull it off.

Also... Capri pants? Seriously? Those are way too much aerodynamic drag.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

capri pants??? Those are rock-climbing shorts just past my knees, and they have a few % of spandex that allows much bettet movement. I don't do them 80's mid-knee shorts. :roflol:

Shouldn't I decelerate if there's a fault line (along with gravel-filled surface)? Definitely a good idea about using timer to test a couple of different approaches. I've been told by the likes of Dan Burwell and Max Michele regarding just get the "train" moving and not worry so much about reloading at egress/ingress -- just be fluid. btw... I didn't reload during the middle of my run, but did so during the ingress/setup of the next shooting position.

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts.

Edited by justaute

Two things on the last video, One I agree about getting that load done while leaving. Coming into position the only thing you should be doing is getting the gun up and in position as you enter and start tracking on the first target. I find for myself it is almost always faster to get the load done first then do whatever is next, whether thats dealing with a door, a big movement or a retreating run.

Second, I'm not sure what the stage called for but could you have shot the four targets you engaged last on the move on the way into that last position. Taking them from a static position at the end is a big time loss if you could have shot them on the way in.

I've been told by the likes of Dan Burwell and Max Michele regarding just get the "train" moving and not worry so much about reloading at egress/ingress -- just be fluid. btw... I didn't reload during the middle of my run, but did so during the ingress/setup of the next shooting position.

One huge piece of advice I can give you is that when you are told things like this, run it on the timer for yourself, don't take it for gospel...and that goes for any advice given here too :D

Somethings work well for one type of shooter but might not suit another. I've run drills with students where I'll give each of them three different ways to shoot it and sometimes it happens that what is the best way for one is not the best way for all. Depending on your skill level at leaving, reloading or entering there may be a significant difference between what is right for you and what is right for someone else. Set up a simple drill with two targets and two boxes roughly the same distance apart as the big run on that stage. Start with the gun in the ready position and on the start signal shoot two into the first target and then run to the next position and shoot that target. Do each run with a reload (do two or three without a reload first to set a baseline for the movement and see what the time difference is with and without the reload)but vary the ways you reload. First do a few runs like you did in the video, next run it a few times by sticking the reload on the exit and get it done in the first step, and for S&G's do a few runs where you just take off and do the whole reload as you enter the position (blast out of the box, run to your deceleration point and then eject the mag and complete the reload while entering.

Jeremy -- appreciate the feedback. See you on Friday at A4.

Pat --

(1) I can certainly see your point regarding shooting those 4 papers on-the-move; in fact, that's how one of my friends did it and what I thought about doing. I obviously decided to shoot the way I did as a result of two reasons; (a) I believe I could haul-a$$ to that last position and that should off-set the elapsed time from a standing reload, (B) as a relatively new shooter, I'm just not quite as comfortable, or accurate, shooting on-the-move as I am static shooting. Thus, I'm trying to leverage my athleticism to compensate for not-yet-acquired skills. In short, I need more structured, live-fire practice -- once every couple of weeks just doesn't cut it.

(2) As far as advice from the "experts," your point is understood and well-taken. Cognitively speaking, people tend to express their views based on their own personal experience, skill level, and empirical evidence. What works for Max and Dan, may not work for me at all given the wide chasm of experience and skill levels. As you said, I need to take the timer-approach to everything. As I continue to acquire incremental skills, I'm certain I'll need to adjust my shooting approach. As you may be able to tell, I'm quite analytical.

Pat, thanks again for taking the time to analyze my performance. FWIW...I'm also a big fan of autoxing,... volleyball, and basketball. Too many interests. :)

Plan out your practices ahead of time, I'm like you and need to maximize time on the range as I don't get there as often as I'd like. Make sure you cover the basics each time, group shooting, SH/WH, and some core drills like Bill Drills, Double Draw Master etc. but then take something from a recent match, like the ones posted and break the stage down into drills that you can use to learn. For example on the barrel stage posted above, do a draw drill where your hands are in an unusual start position, see what you need to do to hit the gun perfect everytime. Work a drill up that has you engage a couple of targets to the left of a barrel and to the right of the barrel (or barricade) with a reload to practice a reload with little movement. Also try shooting something similar to the first two positions where you have harder shots on one side (plates) and easy on the other (reletively close full targets) laid out the same as the stage above and see if its better to shoot the way you did or perhaps shoot the hard shots first then hose the close (not saying it is but worth trying it to see) and set up that run. Run it a couple of ways, first do it the way I descibed in the post above, then run it again adding the targets that can be shot on the move (you don't need to make this a huge drill since you are only interested in the movement times, maybe just two targets at each position or even one at the start, two on the move and one at the end...just remember to do the reloads anyways)

I take notes at matches and anything that requires a decision of which way to go that I haven't already tried in practice gets noted and then I'll set it up in practice and see what works, sometimes I'm right on match day and sometimes I'm not but it all goes in the tool box. As much as possible when I approach a stage I want to be able to say "I'm going to shoot it this way because thats what worked for me in practice" rather than "GM "X" said it should work this way" or "well I 'think' this will be the faster way"...however someone elses plan is better than no plan at all :D

Pat --

(1) I can certainly see your point regarding shooting those 4 papers on-the-move; in fact, that's how one of my friends did it and what I thought about doing. I obviously decided to shoot the way I did as a result of two reasons; (a) I believe I could haul-a$$ to that last position and that should off-set the elapsed time from a standing reload,

careful with that belief too, more often than not sheer flat out a$$-hauling does not outpace someone who trims dwell time without putting out the same amount of energy. I have used it the odd time to my benefit but usually it was not to out run a different shooters approach, but to convince them that my way was faster and I knew I could outrun them.

( as a relatively new shooter, I'm just not quite as comfortable, or accurate, shooting on-the-move as I am static shooting. Thus, I'm trying to leverage my athleticism to compensate for not-yet-acquired skills. In short, I need more structured, live-fire practice -- once every couple of weeks just doesn't cut it.

Well now you have something to practice :D

Yes,

And as a fellow "really don't get a lot of practice in" kind of guy, I'll do things I know I can't really pull off in local matches. Like, in your case, taking those four targets on the way in.

If the match is the only way you find time to practice, and your ego can take it, maybe it's time to hurt your score by pushing the envelope a little bit.