Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Weighing Powder

leftee

Once you have your Dillon 550B set up and pumping out rounds, how often do you double check your powder weigh by dumping 10 loads onto the scale? Before each use? After a certain number of rounds, or some other metric?

When you start to reload, do you begin immediately or do you first dump a few cartridge powder loads back into the machine?

If you dumped the hopper then just fill er up run some through to settle the powder and load.

I put a note on the hopper as to the load/power factor/etc.... and if I don't change anything I just load.

If you are running a "on the edge load" you might want to check.

also

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=125101

Once you have your Dillon 550B set up and pumping out rounds, how often do you double check your powder weigh by dumping 10 loads onto the scale? Before each use? After a certain number of rounds, or some other metric?

I generally check every 200 rounds by throwing a few and looking at the average.

When you start to reload, do you begin immediately or do you first dump a few cartridge powder loads back into the machine?

I always dump a few before starting. My 550 will throw a high charge on the first pull if I let it sit for even a few minutes sometimes. Don't know why but it does.

Several in the first ten on change over once it's settled every couple hundred. Set charge using a Dillon Beam scale and check with a Frankfort Arsenal electronic.

After an incident when the little white linkage bushing came out on the powder measure causing erratic drops. I check to see if it's in place when dropping a new tube of primers. Came out when the linkage nut backed off. I also put lock tight on the nut.

After filling the powder measure, I'll cycle it 4 or 5 times to allow it to settle down, then run a couple checking weight, then load however many I'm loading that day. I've never had it change by itself in over 100,000 rounds, nobody around that could mess with it, and each one of my powder measures carries a label to show what powder and charge weight its set up for.69652053.jpg