Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Minimum Target Distances

Sarge

Our club likes to put very close range targets behind low walls. These are a blast and sometimes harder than you might think. We have had a few problems with blowing pasters off.

What have you all found to be the minimum distance to targets to prevent paster blast off?

Most of ours are at around 4'. You could get closer but once your muzzle clears the wall why?

We do not put them so close to the wall that you need to hang your arm over to get at them, but about 3' behind the wall on angled stands so that you need to be up to the wall before the full A zone becomes visible.

• 6 months later...

If you really want to blow the pasters off try shooting that close target with an AR that doesn't have a comp. That happened to me last year and it blew ninety percent of the pasters off. I have a comp on my AR now.

Eric

• 2 weeks later...

Six to eight feet, but part of it is how the pasters are put on.

Proper paster application need finger pressure all the way around the edge of the tape to get the edges sticking flat and tight to the target, not just jabbed on like most people do. Raised edges encourage lifting and blow off from muzzle blast.

Too bad hardly anybody makes the effort. And, while convenient and fast, I find automatic pasters to be the worst offenders - the tape may be flat, but you could sneeze and blow them off, they are so loosely applied.