Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Carry Gun Type

RoGrrr

Do you carry different guns ?

If so, why ?

During the time I’ve been carrying, I have carried things like 1911’s, Makarov, Helwan, Colt Det Spl, and several other revs.

I took a course at FrontSight and got to thinking about what they told us - perform to no BETTER than 50% of how you train.

I also looked at other psychology data from over the years and began to think that if I train with and carry a revolver, under stress, I might present and my subconscious will be telling me REVOLVER. I will simply press the trigger.

Speed forward to today and I have a Colt Compact Officer 1911 in 45, which is fairly effective. I also shoot it reasonably well and for that reason, I carry it the majority of times. Besides, being smallish, it hides well.

There have been other times, like at formal events, I carried the Makarov – smaller than the Colt.

I had to put my Officer in the shop so for that time I carried the Det Spl. Uncomfortable since it is fatter than the baby 1911, but you do what you have to, to be safe….

Anyway, back to the mind game of different guns. I’ve spoken with many people, asking about their daily carry guns. I can’t begin to count the varied number of types EACH PERSON carries, so I ask them why they carry DIFFERENT guns. I get things like, I think THIS one is sexxy so I carry it today, but for dressy occasions, I carry THAT one, and for weekends, I carry any of these something else's; you know, I have QUITE A FEW guns so WHY NOT carry them all ?

Go back to the stress rule – you will only perform to NO BETTER THAN 50% of how you trained. And when you’re stressed, are you going to remember that you trained mostly with your Glock but today you have your 1911, which you have to TAKE THE SAFETY OFF ?!? So a THUG accosts you and you pull and pull and nothing happens bcuz you didn’t remember to take the safety off. By this time, maybe you will remember and prevail in the gun fight.

Maybe not….

After thinking about this, I decided that if I’m going to carry for my own safety, I should be able to function WITHOUT THINKING. After all, MY LIFE depends on it. As a result, I decided that all my carry guns should be the same platform so I sold the Helwan (with its stupid style safety) and the Mak went away, too (primarily since it uses strange ammo that I can't easily get so I'd be less inclined to train with it). All to be replaced with 1911s of various sizes - full size, Compact - and calibers.

I typically carry 4 O’Clock, IWB, butt fwd. At times a bit uncomfortable (depends on the chair I’m sitting in) and might print if I bend down so I try avoid those situations. Anyway, it’s how I train so I can quickly and confidently present without thinking. If I’m going to be in a formal scenario, I might use appendix or shoulder holster.

What are your thoughts on WHAT you carry and how you carry it ? Also, what type holster and in what configuration do you use AND TRAIN with ?

Yes, because I have to.

When I'm at work/on duty I carry an HK USP 40 with the LEM trigger because that's what the Fed's issued me....and I despise it. Not to say it's not a good sidearm but I don't like the ergonomics of it and I don't like the trigger. But it's what's required so I carry it and I shoot it at quarterly requals and other times as well just to stay current and proficent with it.

On my own time I carry a 1911 officers model. I also shoot 1911's in competition. I like the ergonomics.

I also subscribe to the theory of you fight like you train, but it's also about being prepared. I have been involved in a self defense shooting with my 1911 and I didn't find myself forgetting to drop the safety or anything like I would with the HK (since it doesn't have one).

For me it comes down to training management and the law of primacy. If you have something instilled in you in primary training and subsequently train with/in other tools or disciplines. I have made myself learn to manage two different types of sidearms for opperational reasons.

Some people will be able to multi-task than others, and for those people it boils down into how much time you are willing to train and get used to the systems you will be using in a stress environment.

I taken to carrying a small 357 revo loaded with 38 Spec +P.

My bony no ass shape approves of them over the semi for long periods of carry.

Being a sport shooting oriented site, we aren't much into the tacticool/ self-defense thing, so...

I was a street cop for 23 years and have been retired for 9 years now. I've been shooting USPSA for over 15 years with 1911's and 2011's. My concealed carry gun has been a Colt 1991-A1 Compact (Officer's ACP size) for the last 15 or so years. The 1911 platform is what I compete with and shoot the most so my carry gun is the same platform and I never carry anything else. I was the department firearms instructor for 14 years and learned a lot from that experience. Under stress your firearms handling skills degrade drastically from what you are capable of under ideal conditions, and you will revert to the basic skill set you have been taught in training.

Back before my time on the streets when revolvers were the standard issue on most departments and the PPC course was considered adequate for qualification by most departments, a lot of officers would put their empty cases in their pockets during the reload on the PPC course. Not surprisingly, officers were being found with empty cases in their pockets after being killed in shootouts! Proof positive that what you learn on the range will be what you revert to in a for real shooting! It is for this reason that I stick with the platform I shoot the most, train with my carry gun, and only carry ONE gun! If I have to use my concealed carry gun I want the best chance possible to accomplish the task at hand. Switching between different guns would just degrade my ability to do that.

Edited by 392heminut

My $0.02 for what it's worth.....I compete with the 1911/2011 platform, and decide what to carry based on the level of concealment I have available. Most of the time I have a STI Tactical close by, other times I have a XDsc .40 and when I don't have room for either of those I carry a LCP. My thought is that as long as the gun I carry is similar in pointing and simpler than the gun I train/compete with, I'm going to be OK. I don't think it works as good going the other way though, ie training/competing with a Glock/XD striker gun and carrying a 1911 with a safety and hammer.

I carry different pistols to meet the needs of the environment and my attire. Growing up on a shooting range allowed me to train with multiple platforms. I always taught or demonstrated with each firearm the people in the class were using. I am fortunate to have done this and am comfortable with most platforms. This goes back to the environment and attire. The 1911 and Colt Mustang would go along with your training regiment but when I know I am traveling through an undesirable area, capacity pushes me to the Glock. I haven't carried a revolver in a while but before the polymer guns were common, it was my door gun for the car.

I have never suggested carrying a firearm that you have not trained with in the manor you are carrying. 392heminut is correct about police doing the same as they qualified. Too many of them in a live fire course had AD's when not having time to think. The fault for them is they rarely trained (low to no funding). As my mentor and father always said, practice, practice and practice! This is your life and many others at stake!

I would not be afraid of carrying multiple platforms but I have trained a lot with all of them and yes muscle memory is there!

I don't know. I carried a 1911 for years and then started shooting some IDPA and purchased a Springfield XD 9mm to compete with. Nice gun... After quite some time I went to the range to practice with my carry gun ( 1911 ) I found myself not using the thumb safety when I drew the gun. I sold the XD the next week and bought a 9mm 1911 style.

I am not sure it is muscle memory. I think it is habit. You will revert back to what you have practiced with. Carrying in the same place on your body is also important for the same reason. If it hits the fan you are going to reach for what you have practiced.

thanks,

George