Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.45 acp starline brass

hello everybody, i have a problem with starline brass in my dillon rl550, its really tight in the powder funnel going down or coming out in the powder funnel but going in or going up in the powder funnel is ok. every brass i reload are all ok except starline and seems like this company are so proud of themselves.

hello everybody, i have a problem with starline brass in my dillon rl550, its really tight in the powder funnel going down or coming out in the powder funnel but going in or going up in the powder funnel is ok. every brass i reload are all ok except starline and seems like this company are so proud of themselves.

Are you lubing your brass?

FWIW, I'm a big fan of Starline brass. If I had the $$$ to do it, I'd run new Starline all the time.

BB

1. New brass? Tumble in for a bit to coat the inside.

2. Polish the funnel. There are posts here debating 550 funnels vs 1050 funnels vs polishing the hell out of 550 funnels. :blink:

3. As BB said, Lube your brass. Much easier.

4. I also love starline. I'll take all the "bad" brass to help you out. :devil:

I seem remember having this problem once with new starline brass in either 44 special or 44 magnum. At the time I was loading cast bullets so I had that lube residue that gets on your fingers. I rubbed it on the powder funnel every few rounds and that seemed to help some but it was still somewhat annoying. The problem went away for me once it was fired once and tumbled. I didn't think to tumble it when new as suggested above to coat the inside of the case. That seems like it would be worth a shot.

The new Starline brass I have bought has a dried film of something from the manufacturing process which makes sizing and flaring the mouth a little rough.

I always tumble new brass before loading and I use Dillon rapid polish in the media which helps also.

Greg

I believe it's a problem with the specs on the dillon powder funnel, just on the .45. If you're loading lots of new brass, call Starline, I think they can modify it for you. Once you've fired it, it's not a problem any more. I load .45, .40, and .38Super on two different 550's, and I've only encountered the problem with .45's.

I believe it's a problem with the specs on the dillon powder funnel, just on the .45. If you're loading lots of new brass, call Starline, I think they can modify it for you. Once you've fired it, it's not a problem any more. I load .45, .40, and .38Super on two different 550's, and I've only encountered the problem with .45's.

i experience the problem even on once-fired starline brass, if i don't lube the cases. even if they were lubed during the first loading. i also load .40, .38 super, and 9mm and also only encountered the problem on .45.

so i just lube the 45s and be done with it.

As I remember Starline at one time offered to modify the powder funnel/expander of the Dillon machines which were causing difficulties with their 45 ACP brass. You might want to contact Starline. I beieve the problem only occcurs with new Starline brass. I have never experienced any problem using fired Starline brass.