Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Warren Sevigny Front Height w/ G34 + 115gr WWB..?

ck1

Can anyone tell me which height Warren Tactical Sevigny competition front blade I should go with on a G34 shooting cheap factory FMJ like WWB or Federal Champion from Wallymart (.214" or .245")?

I know there are lots of older threads concerning the front-blade-height question with these (yes, I've looked through them), but all of them list different shooter's results with their own specific loads (usually 124gr or 147gr loads around 129-135pf), and here I'm specifically asking for those to chime in if they have experience with or meaningful advice concerning the results I'd likely encounter shooting cheap 115gr FMJ factory loads (guessing around 130-135pf out of a G34)..?

I'm looking for which option (.215" or .245") will get me closest to a POI right about at the top of the blade or maybe an inch high or so when perfectly aligning the tops of both the rear and front sights..?*

*(seems most don't really consider that a true "6 o'clock hold" so I won't call it that, I don't want to use the term "POA=POI" either as that leads to even more confusion as "POA=POI" means right at the FO's dot to some, the top of the front-blade to others, and then a "grey area" too as it seems some have a different method they use and consider/call "POA" that's even different than those two...)

Thanks in advance.

Dawson Precision sells a sweet front sight that matches the Sevigny rear...their suggestion is .115x.215 for a competition and .125x.215 for a serrated. Might be worth a call to them and ask, but looks like they have the answer there.

Hope that helps...

For me, the DP 0.225" worked great. About 1" high at 25 yards with a firm grip. I bought a 0.235", shot some test groups, and filed it down.

I don't know if it is just me, but how loose I grip the gun really alters how high it shoots. YMMV.

10/8 performance sells a plastic front site blank that is tall. you shoot then you file down to where you have your impact where you want it then order the closest steel site that fits that same height.

Thanks guys, from talking to a couple guys I shoot with, reading like 400,000 threads out there on the subject, and from the posts here, I ordered a set with the .215" tall front and we'll see what I get I guess...

Seems the general consensus from what I've seen is that the .215" will probably end up a little high, more like a 6 o'clock hold, but I'd prefer that over hitting low which is what it seems a lot of guys end up with going with the .245"T option. Plus, FWIW, seems the majority of the info out there concerning where the .215" hits seems to come from guys who reload, going with heavier 147gr bullets loaded pretty light to get to around a 125ish-130pf load that meets minimum power factor requirements but is still softer shooting than most 115gr factory stuff, since in my experience 115gr rounds tend to print an inch or more lower than 147gr rounds loaded to around the same pf, hopefully I should be in the ballpark I'm looking for without printing too high, and definitely not printing low (which personally I hate). Worst case, I'll just be buying another front sight, but at least I'll have a reference to work off coming from my own hands.

Thanks again.

Edited by ck1