Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

solo 1000

bubba

I've ran solo 1000 behind lead bullets for the past two years 4.4grs at 1.135 and it made 169-171pf.This last lot of powder I bought is taking a great deal more to make major . Has anyone else had this problem ? Is it abad batch ? Does it generally vary this much lot to lot ? I've emailed the manufacturer , but they didn't reply . Now I'm asking the people.

There has been a ton of posts about Solo 1000 and lot-to-lot variations. The jug I just opened is a moderately slow one. I had to bump up .2gr to get the same PF. For better or worse, it's pretty much normal. Just start low and re-chrono when you open a new jug. It hasn't really been that big of a deal IMO. Just a little annoying.

Well I appreciate the help I normally buy 24lbs at a time ,so this was the first I noticed.I guess I'll be good for the next 24lbs until I need to recheck.

quote name='technetium-99m' timestamp='1309874540' post='1485485']

Jugs vary, my current jug takes 4.8gr behind a 180gr lead bullet at 1.180 to make 175PF.

Have to stay on top of your chronoing.

Just chronoed two test loads today with a new keg of Solo 1000; so far so good. First time using this powder. Bullet is the BBI 180 grain moly, OAL 1.20", Fed SP primer and Fed brass. 4.6 grains gave me a pf of 162.5, 4.8 grains gave me a pf of 166.68. SD's were 6 for the 4.6 grain load and 9 for the 4.8 load. Surprising since the powder doesnt seem to meter very well. Probably bump the load up to 4.9 grains and call it good for local matches/practice. Man, the recoil impulse with the 4.8 grain load feels alot like my match load with N320. wish I tried it sooner. :cheers:

A metering trick I learned here, and found valid with S1000, is to set it up with a heavier charge and adjust down. So if target is 4.8, set throws at 5.0 and decrease a bit then test a batch of 10 throws until you reach 4.8. With my Hornady and last 6 8# jugs of S1000, I've found excellent reliability in charge weight.

I switched bullets and opened a new jug and rechronoed. I now use 5.0 grains at 1.190 with a 180 bullet to make 170pf.

I used to use a 185 moly bullet with 4.5 grains at 1.195 oal to make the same pf.

Randy