Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

singlestack mag life

digby7

i have tripp 10 round 9mm mags - 7 of them that have around 11k rounds through the set. I also do lots of reload practice with a snapcap loaded in. I have not had a single issue with these mags until the other day when I was doing reloading practice and noticed that one of them had possibly widened on the front section of the feedlips and the round was sticking almost straight up from the mag(did not get a picture).

Wondering what kind of life you expect to get out of your singlestack mags and what tools you use to adjust things like the feed lips when they get out of whack?

I remember trying to adjust a wilson 47d with a set of needle nose pliers with poor results.

I have 10 or 12 45 mags that are over 20 years old.

Keep them in good springs and followers they should last a lifetime (excluding terminal damage).

Check out Dawson they have a mag kit or send them to a smith.

I didn't change my springs out till they started rusting real bad and that was still after trying to keep them clean after rain matches. They went about two years in all kinds of weather till i swapped em out. Wasn't having any problems, but just wanted to do it before i did have problems.

Al

This pic was taken of me (with my old Afro haircut) shooting my very first pistol match back in 1987. The host club ran out of bowling pins so we shot chunks of 4X4 off the tables instead. See the Wilson 7-round .45 mag on the bench there? Well, I still have that mag, along with 4 or 5 more just like it, and they all still function just fine. I upgraded them to the 8-round followers and springs when they first came out, and I think I replaced the springs on them one other time. I did have a problem with breaking some of the plastic basepads (like everybody else), and a few years ago I finally just put steel basepads on all my Wilson mags, which solved that issue.

The point of all this is that good quality single-stack magazines should last indefinitely. I would not recommend screwing with the feed lips on them. None of my good single-stack mags have ever been "adjusted" with pliers--if the mag bodies ever cause malfunctioning problems I will simply toss them in the trash and replace them.

post-4033-0-06655400-1309838691_thumb.jp

Edited by Carmoney

I don't know about Tripp, but Wilson has a lifetime warranty on their mags. I have sent some of my most used 10rd .45 mags back (they still worked but wouldn't fall out of the gun) and they happily replaced them.

Hurley

I have Tripp stainless 10 rnd. 9mm & 9 round .40 S&W (I use the 10mm instead of the .40 S&W). Also used 10 round stainless .40 S&W (10mm) Shooting Stars never had a problem with any of them. If I were you I would call Vergil and make arrangements to send the mags back for re-work or replacement. Vergil Tripp will replace them if necessary at no cost he is a great guy. Can't beat a Tripp mag. Keep them clean, change springs & followers if necessary and they should last a life-time.