Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Those Peskey Primer Pick-Up Tubes

BamBams

How many times can you say "Pesky Primer Pick-Up Tubes" really fast?

Okay, so you can do it! Well, can YOU prevent "Crater Face?"

Always wonder what would happen if your primer pick-up tubes go KA-BOOM?

Have you stepped on one yet?

Well, fear no more! I've got just the solution for you. Read on:

Before:

8.jpg

After:

9.jpg

So here's how to keep you good looking:

1) Go to "Home Depot" and buy:

a. 12" of 2" galvanized steel pipe - threaded on both ends

b. A 2" galvanized steel flange fitting

c. A 2" galvanized steel cap fitting

d. 1 can "Rustoleum blue spray paint

e. 4 x 5/16" bolts, 8 x 5/16" washers, and 4 x 5/16" nuts

Like this:

1.jpg

2) Drill a hole in the cap. If you do not, then you are making what the BATF calls a pipe bomb. Instead of being a crater face, you will become headless.

Like this

2.jpg

2) Wash all the parts with a "Brillo Pad" and let dry thoroughly. Then paint.

Like this:

3.jpg

3) On the next day. Put the flange on your reloading bench where you want to keep your PPTs (Primer Pick-Up Tubes), and with a pencil, mark all the holes. Then drill them out. Make sure you drill a hole in the middle also. Otherwise, you are making what the BATF calls a rocket and you will blow a hole in your ceiling.

Like this:

4.jpg

4) Put some masking tape over the middle hole. Two pieces should do it.

Like this:

5.jpg

5) Now bolt down the flange with the bolts, washers, and nuts to your bench. Screw in the pipe, and put in your PPTs.

Like this:

6.jpg

6) Screw on the cap and admire your work

Like this:

7.jpg

Now you won't ever be a crater face! Enjoy!

Sorry, but the purpose isn't entirely obvious to me. It's not an extra safety shield for use when picking up primers? It's more for storage of loaded primer tubes? For people who load multiple tubes in one sitting and might otherwise drop and kick them about?

Yup. It is for tidy, safe storage of the tubes -- hopefully eliminating some possible danger if one got careless. As you are aware, if one primer detonates in a primer tube, there is a good chance for a dangerous, chain reaction. Stick the PPTs in the pipe, and you've got little to be concerned about.

Lets see, 5 tubes ,100 primers each, in a 2in galvanized pipe. Yep thats what Batf calls a bomb. Large mcdonalds milk shake cup works for me. Larry

Well it would be Larry, if it were not for the two holes - top and bottom. The idea is to channel the pressure of an explosion up and down, rather than into the reloader's face. I believe it should function exactly as advertised in the event of a primer mishap - but I won't guarantee anything since I'm not a demolitions expert.

I am always paranoid about primer detonations -- especially with "Federal" primers. Now I believe I can worry a little less about an accidental detonation causing serious injury to me -- although the floor and ceiling might look pretty bad.

Well I hang mine on the wall. In a holder similar to a tooth brush holder. All the tubes point up and down. I also use a Vibra Prime to fill them. I has a larger head and makes it easy to hang up. Made a hanger out or some thin aluminum and cut the slots and bent it at a 90. Screwed it to the wall and was done.

What is wrong with just throwing them suckers on the loading benck till you need them...

That's what I do.

I used to use all sorts of tricks to keep loaded tubes stored upright, until I realized that something upright, short of using something like BB's device, is just asking for something to fall over and go boom.

Now I just lay them flat on the bench, up to 16 at a time (too many, I think for BB's holder - would 16 in the pipe be considered a tactical nuclear device?).

16 at a time? Hmmmm.....you'd need a pipe farm! Prior to making my pipe, I had considered just drilling holes in the bench for them to slip into. Now if I could just find a way to keep my allen head wrenches all together!

I used to work in demolition and do not (!) ever confine anything explosive. Your holes would seem much too small to relieve pressure, plus primers are extremely fast detonating, so the slowly developing gas pressure (which you could possibly relieve with holes) is not the main problem. With a primer filler, there's no need to have umpteen filled tubes, and without one you want to store them apart and unconfined.

--Detlef