Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Front Sight Post Question

stre-tch

Last Saturday I was out shooting after hunting with my Ar15 (dissapator style) to make sure everything was still on. Being that I wasn't planning on shooting at targets (other than the moving fleshy ones) all I had in the back of the truck was a pepsi can.

Here is the problem that I encountered - I could get hits on the can but it seemed that they were all over the can and not like I would see with a scope. I am new to AR15 iron sights but it seemed to me that the front post was too thick for my eyes (i.e. at 50 yrds to my eyes the can and the blade were the same width).

I have looked around and seen "shaved" front sights, "Fiber optic", KNS "assortment", etc... Which one do you guys recommend? Or does it just come down to more practice?

I did read about a guy who took his front sight post out and chucked it up in a drill press and thinned it down with a file. I have thought about that.

Also How important is it to use the front sight post tool? I am a little ways from any place that would stock one of those so I would have to order one on line.

Thanks

I've thinned my front sight down with a file and drill to make it round. At 200 yards it is just thinner than an IPSC Target and allows some of the Target to show on either side. Shooting a 12x12 plate at 200 I was able to put 3 rounds into the splatter of the first round in the center of the plate. I stopped after that. That was with the thinned blade and a Daniel Defense fixed rear with the small hole. I'm actually in the process of building an A2 rear with an adjustable iris, I'm still need the adjustable iris but I've got the sight and kns mounting bar for the iris.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk

The front sight tool is nice but not needed. Actually, in the military, we've used the tip of the 5.56 round to depress the pin and rotate the post. It's a pain and it's slow but will work in a pinch.

For short-range club matches within 200 yards I like using a standard NM front post on a JP clamp on at the end of an 18" barrel.

Last year I put together a 20" gun with a KNS 0.034 post. I really like it for longer stuff, and it has a shoulder where it tapers from 0.05 so it is fairly sturdy. It is a little hard to pick-up in low light however. I think they are about $10.