Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

45ACP OAL too long for 625?

lugnut

I switched from Berrys 230gr to Rainier 230gr. I should have paid more attention to the OAL as the Rainiers have a different ogive- much more pointy. Anyway since I didn't adjust the seating die, I have a few hundred Rainier loads that are 1.310" or so instead of the 1.265" I used with Berrys.

Since this is for my 625, I don't think it will be an issue. I've checked them in the cylinder and the bullet isn't even close to the forcing cone/end of the cylinder. I'm loading up some ammo for the fall and won't be shooting these for a while either way.

Go to go?

I switched from Berrys 230gr to Rainier 230gr. I should have paid more attention to the OAL as the Rainiers have a different ogive- much more pointy. Anyway since I didn't adjust the seating die, I have a few hundred Rainier loads that are 1.310" or so instead of the 1.265" I used with Berrys.

Since this is for my 625, I don't think it will be an issue. I've checked them in the cylinder and the bullet isn't even close to the forcing cone/end of the cylinder. I'm loading up some ammo for the fall and won't be shooting these for a while either way.

Go to go?

As always Shoot At Your Own Risk, but I've never seen a credible report of detonation due to excessive case volume, which is your issue. Considering that you had a good load at 1.256 which is already a bit long, shoot away. I'd be shocked if you somehow found a combo that could hurt a wheelgun.

Matt

Go to go?

As always Shoot At Your Own Risk, but I've never seen a credible report of detonation due to excessive case volume, which is your issue. Considering that you had a good load at 1.256 which is already a bit long, shoot away. I'd be shocked if you somehow found a combo that could hurt a wheelgun.

Matt

I didn't even consider that... although since the Rainiers seem to be pointier vs chunky like the Berrys- even though the OAL of the Rainiers is longer... I'd bet the depth of the base in the case is about the same.... I guess I could pull a couple to check.

You're worried about four one-hundredths difference in OAL? You may need to look into a prescription for Anafranil! :P

The actual answer to your question: You'll never know the difference.

It looks like more than that in my case gauge. rolleyes.gif I'm not a nervous nelly but I figured I see what the experts say. In semi autos that difference would likely mean they wouldn't fit my mags... but we're in the revo world now... roflol.gif

BTW- Nice shooting at Area 5 Matt/Mike!

You're worried about four one-hundredths difference in OAL? You may need to look into a prescription for Anafranil! :P

The actual answer to your question: You'll never know the difference.

C'mon Mike, who uses anafranil nowadays? Do they even make that anymore? The SSRIs are much more safer and better tasting. :P

Seiichi

I cast a 200 gr flat nose bullet using a lee mold. I shot these for a long time in my SA 1911. no problem. I purchased a new 1911 and shot them in it as well. but that gun has major problems. The slide kept locking open when I still had cartridges in the mag. after several months of on and off shooting with it I got so frustrated that I really analyzed every step of the shooting cycle. Lo and behold the olgive of the bullet was just rubbing the slide lock lever and causing it to move up and stop the slide. Other bullets did not do that even factory loads. It was just that the bullet profile was larger more toward the front of the bullet which was a flat nose than a round nose.