Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Travel from FL to NJ

I'm gogn to be flying to NJ from FL for my parents 50th. Theres a USPSA match I might like to shoot. I fly often with my G34 so know the base TSA and airline rules. What considerations to I need to be aware of in and out of Newark airport and having it while visting there?

Make sure it is nj legal. No mags over 15 rounds.

direct travel to and from range. unloaded in a locked case in trunk.

better yet... I wouldnt in nj, especially if you do not have a residence in the state.

yes... people do it... but you do not want to be the next case.

NJ mag capacity limits are 15.... so those 17 rounders will get you possession of high cap mags if stopped by LEO. to be NJ Legal, those 17 rounders would have to be permanently modified to 15 rounds.

Considering you cannot carry in NJ anyway for CCW, I would just drop the idea honestly. Make a friend here in NJ and borrow their gun.

In NJ, guns are illegal, with a few exceptions, ie for travel between range/store/gunsmith and home/your own business. Legally, you can't take your gun over to your buddies house. Much less parent's house.

Do people do it? I am sure. But if you get pulled over... you are opening yourself up.

I'm gogn to be flying to NJ from FL for my parents 50th. Theres a USPSA match I might like to shoot. I fly often with my G34 so know the base TSA and airline rules. What considerations to I need to be aware of in and out of Newark airport and having it while visting there?

If you travel to NJ and shoot in Pa (not very far away - depending on

exactly where in NJ you're going) - the mags are legal in PA.

And, a lot of good shoots in PA. Check the schedule at USPSA

website - look up ranges in PA -

Much friendlier to large mags than NJ.

Good luck,

Jack

If you travel to NJ and shoot in Pa (not very far away - depending on

exactly where in NJ you're going) - the mags are legal in PA.

And, a lot of good shoots in PA. Check the schedule at USPSA

website - look up ranges in PA -

Much friendlier to large mags than NJ.

Good luck,

Jack

Great idea, but not if he is in NJ. Possession of high cap mags in NJ is illegal pure and simple. =)

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but there is a recent Federal Appeals Court decision in the Third Circuit (covers NJ) that makes what you are planning on doing a very bad idea. If you want details, send me a PM.

Michael P. Gottlieb, Esquire

Edited by mikegot38