Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What is your favorite muzzle brake for 3 gun?

bmiller

I have a S&W mp-15 with a 16 inch barrel. I have been dabbling in local 3 gun matches. I am interested in purchasing a muzzle brake. I thought about a jp recoil eliminator, would it be obnoxious for the shooter? What do you folks use and prefer?

Thanks

Most of the comps ive been around or shot (not nearly as many as some of these other guys) are not very obnoxious to the shooter in any way. Now the other people around the shooter are a different story sometimes haha.

Thanks for the link to the poll. Looks like the SJC/Benny Hill/JP are all neck-in-neck. I have a Nordic currently, which came on my STI, and like it so far but I have nothing to compare it too. I read an article last year or so, I think it was in Front Sight, about rifle comp efficiency. The Nordic was high on the list in regard to muzzle rise so I have not changed it out. I am thinking of going to a SJC or Arredondo just to try out but not sure yet.

Take a look at the new Firebird dominator comp. Probably not on the website yet but look in the dealer forum. I just got mine. I love it. I'm still a fan of the F2 as well.

Take a look at the new Firebird dominator comp. Probably not on the website yet but look in the dealer forum. I just got mine. I love it. I'm still a fan of the F2 as well.

It looks nice, please keep me updated as you use it more...Thanks

Really, there is no one favorite. Too many little factors like load, gas system, barrel length, gun weight, shooter/gun interface. When it all comes down to it, there is not a lot of difference. Some of the most heavily marketed and "loved" comps which sell for $100 and more are no better than some of the $40 to $50 comps.

Really, there is no one favorite. Too many little factors like load, gas system, barrel length, gun weight, shooter/gun interface. When it all comes down to it, there is not a lot of difference. Some of the most heavily marketed and "loved" comps which sell for $100 and more are no better than some of the $40 to $50 comps.

Favorite is favorite, it's all based on your opinion or preference, not fact. We can have favorites all day long, it's the "best" or "top" that causes problems. Until there is some definitive, objective testing that tells us how to compare these items on an equal basis, we are just going off of subjective findings. However, there is something to be said for majority favorites. Is it a one-size-fits-all object? No. Will most others find it appealing since such a large majority already does? Probably yes.

Favorite is favorite, it's all based on your opinion or preference, not fact. We can have favorites all day long, it's the "best" or "top" that causes problems. Until there is some definitive, objective testing that tells us how to compare these items on an equal basis, we are just going off of subjective findings. However, there is something to be said for majority favorites. Is it a one-size-fits-all object? No. Will most others find it appealing since such a large majority already does? Probably yes.

Yes, favorite is favorite, and again there is not one. I have a few favorites, for different parameter groups. And there IS fact, just most shooters don't have access to it. I've run a bunch of the top comps in gas dynamics models with varying profiles, and there is a lot to be learned from the math.

I have my favorite for everything - it's just a decision to be made since it's all about personal preference.

So, can I ask what is your most used comp in 3gun?

I've shot more rounds with a JP Tactical comp than anything else, but I don't own one anymore. Probably equal amounts through Nordic Corvette and BH Rolling Thunder, have two Corvettes on rifles, no longer have the Rolling Thunder. I have three I am considering...Don't yet know what will be on my rifle at RM3G, but I have a month to decide.