Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9 major load with lead

shooterbenedetto

Thinking of shooting half and half to shoot more at the range. I know it really makes a difference

in price..anyone of you do this? if so what lead bullet, chrono(fps, powder)? then I can shoot jacketed to clean the gun

and spray some oil on the compensator. Thoughts or any problem with this?

I only know one guy that shoots lead for practice in 9 Major and Minor PF. Lubes the comp to prevent buildup and makes his own lead bullets old school style. He has no problems other than switching recoil springs for each load. I've shot both out of his gun. Major gets real foggy due to Lead and Gas, Minor not so much. He has to wipe the red dot glass after each stage (sideways mount as well). On the stage I shot his gun both times, I shot the stage worse with his gun both major and minor with lead vs. me always shooting major PF even at steel thursday night stuff 124gr MG JHP... i'll stick with my current load (even if it does cost a truckload more for me to do that). The lead even feels weird vs JHP.. can't put my finder on it, maybe because they were homemade bullets.

Now that I think about it... this post probably doesn't help at all..sorry :roflol:

While I haven't shot lead major nine I have in 38 super and have a friend that shoots about 90% lead. 135gn round nose. It's accurate, smokes, builds lead up in the comp. His slide is not ported so no problem with the optics.

My gun has three small ports in the barrel that vent through the slide. That makes enough mess that it's not worth the savings on bullets for the time it takes to clean the gun and the residue that gets on the optic.

I'm a fan of lead bullets and use them limited 40S@W and 45acp loads. I wouldn't recommend them in a comp gun with a ported slide or a shorty. Should work fine in a five inch non slide ported comp gun, just dirtier.

He's told me that anything lighter than 135 lead is being pushed to fast to stabilize.

i'd think Id investigate Bayou Bullets, they may be the trick for practice loads, but I just go ahead and bite the bullet, and buy a truck load of FMJ's from precision delta or montanna gold.

i'd think Id investigate Bayou Bullets, they may be the trick for practice loads, but I just go ahead and bite the bullet, and buy a truck load of FMJ's from precision delta or montanna gold.

10-4, I was thinking what a hassle changing the seating die powder levels etc, and the lead is going to shoot way softer than the jacketed, and the cleaning. My testing with shooting jacketed after lead is it takes 200 rounds to get it clean. I've shot the Bayou bullets in an open gun at 1400+ fps and they work fine an no caca in the comp or barrel, and the big one they don't bumble. I tried some Precision Moly and they were way fast but tumbled. I use the CMJ's from MTG clean and accurate.

I RO'e the Texas Open 2 years ago and a guy was shooting lead in an open gun with a red lube, when he did ULSC it looked like someone barffed pizza in it.