Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Using borrowed gear

jarozzy

At my second match I was using mag pouches, holster and belt from a guy that I had met at my first match. It was a good experience to test out different fear. At the end of one of the rounds, I had two more targets. Went to do a mag change and there was no mags left. What had happens was near the beginning two mags had fell out the the pouches. Lesson learned was to make sure the mags are tight enough that they won't fall out.

At my second match I was using mag pouches, holster and belt from a guy that I had met at my first match. It was a good experience to test out different fear. At the end of one of the rounds, I had two more targets. Went to do a mag change and there was no mags left. What had happens was near the beginning two mags had fell out the the pouches. Lesson learned was to make sure the mags are tight enough that they won't fall out.

I hate it when that happens :wacko:

• 10 months later...

Can I ask what mags were you using and what mag pouches your friend had?

• 1 month later...

I borrowed a M1S90 for a shotgun stage and after ULSC somehow ended up with the bolt closed on an empty chamber and a shell in the magazine. I didn't notice (was focused on the chamber and actually racked it multiple times to be sure it was empty before hammer-down) and the RO didn't notice. The guy I borrowed it from found it later... It didn't cost me anything in the match, but what a sinking feeling in the stomach when he told me. :sick: I still don't understand how that could happen, but I know to manually unload the tube now.

I borrowed a M1S90 for a shotgun stage and after ULSC somehow ended up with the bolt closed on an empty chamber and a shell in the magazine. I didn't notice (was focused on the chamber and actually racked it multiple times to be sure it was empty before hammer-down) and the RO didn't notice. The guy I borrowed it from found it later... It didn't cost me anything in the match, but what a sinking feeling in the stomach when he told me. :sick: I still don't understand how that could happen, but I know to manually unload the tube now.

There are TWO lessons to be learned here. One for you to check and TWO, always check a gun given to you regardless of who had it before and what they did or did not do!

thats an operational feature of the m1 i think...

when the bolt was forward, if you had pressed the little tab along side the trigger the shell in the tube would have feed out, and when you rack the bolt again it chambers it.

its supposed to be so you canload a special round(think ninja breaching a door or whatever) and only dump one round instead of two to get the special round chambered.

I've never borrowed gear myself, but I have (and would) lent gear to others. In particular some shooters will show up to matches without sufficient magazines. Last time I did it a guy showed up with a Ruger P89 with only 2 15 round mags. There were no 32-round courses of fire that date, but there was one stage with 2 mandatory reloads. I went ahead and lent out a magazine I had (I still keep my P95 in my bag as a backup gun) so that he could complete that stage.

Overall, I think its good to help out new shooters where possible when it comes to gear. If they show up and feel like they're bumbling around or unable to finish a course with what they brought out then they may not return.