Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Custom cuts for a stock EDGE

latech15

A lot of folks including me use the JP lightened carrier along with an adjustable gas block. The lightened carrier allows the gun to function with less gas. Less gas in the action equals less recoil plus an additional almost negligible amount of gas available to the comp.

After ignition the slide is going to have a certain amount of momentum. For that given momentum (m×v) a relatively heavier slide will have less kinetic energy (.5mv^2). The recoil spring and mainspring will store a fixed amount of that kinetic energy, so any increased recoil energy due to the lighter slide will get dumped into your grip.

Again, are you talking about recoil or flip? I am not concerned with getting the least amount of recoil. I am a big boy, I can handle a slap in the palm. I am trying to lessen the flip. My theory is that less reciprocating weight = less flip. According to your theory, that may end up with more felt recoil, but I'm fine with that.

If the heavier the slide is, the flatter the gun shoots, why does everybody who builds custom guns lighten the slide? Why would they not weld on more material to the slide to make it heavier?

Edited by latech15

I do not see how having a heavier slide could decrease felt recoil. I would like to have 2 identical guns with the same ammo, but one with a light slide and really see the difference. Has anyone done this?

I have been shooting an Edge for about a year. When factory stock, and new to me, the gun seemed to have a very soft recoil with major pf loads and very little muzzle flip. It also seemed as though I was waiting on the gun to cycle. After having the slide lightened recently, the gun waits on me. Recoil is over faster and is perhaps subjectively sharper. Muzzel flip seems about the same. I think that this is a good modification for me. I need to shoots alphas faster.

I've never had any issues with it. Then again, I never have to touch the slide other than to load and unload because it runs like a raped ape. :cheers:

Wouldn't you have to actually shoot it to know if it "runs like a raped ape"

After the CZ handed your ass to you I haven't seen you with anything but that old glock.