Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

124gr production powder . . .

Pro2AInPA

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Add another vote for N320. I use MG 124FMJ out of my CZ SP01, 4.2gns makes about 131PF.

By the way, Powder Valley just got a shipment of Vhit in the other day. They are fully stocked on all Vhit powders...including the elusive 4lb N320!

I really, really like IMR SR 7625. Nice and soft compared to TG and WSF and super accurate with MG 124gr CMJs. Found my powder, thanks Red Ryder! :cheers:

Ok, well I'v got the hopper full of IMR7625 and the bullet feeder is loaded with MTG 124 CMJ.

I really, really like IMR SR 7625. Nice and soft compared to TG and WSF and super accurate with MG 124gr CMJs. Found my powder, thanks Red Ryder! :cheers:

Ok, well I'v got the hopper full of IMR7625 and the bullet feeder is loaded with MTG 124 CMJ.

4.6gr at 1.140". Give it a shot.

the games we shoot do not require a power factor. settled on a load of 4.5 aa-5 w/ 125 gr bayou green for around 850 fps.then tried power pistol, 3.9 grs @ 820 fps and brass lands @ our feet from an sti trojan & an eaa limited in 9mm. a bonus is the power pistol is available around here for a savings of $5 a pound and takes up 'bout the same room as the aa-5 load. shot some 3.0 of titegroup for 900 fps but it burned really hot and recoil felt 3x snappier! power pistol in the reduced loads is very soft. our .02. laura&vic

Dave if clays, WSF, 231, Titegroup etc. dont work for you try...

IMR 700X

Robby

I spent some time developing loads with 124gr RN plated bullets from Berry's and Zero 125gr JHP. They were acurate and I liked how the recoil felt - much softer then TG. I even used it in my USPSA matchd for a few months. However 700-x was burning really dirty at my load levels. I have since tried W231 and N320 and decided to stick to these two powders for my 9mm Minor loads. Small loads of 700-x may not meter well in some powder charges.

4.6gr at 1.140". Give it a shot.

I just cranked a 100 out for testing at 4.8gr, came in and read your post, I load mine at 1.145 for my CZ Shadow Custom, and I'm not worried its too much I've loaded 6.8gr in a 9 mm testing major. If it hits 135pf and shoots good I will be happy, we have a lot of wind here so poppers get set heavy.

The only problem I have found with IMR SR7625 is that it only comes in 1 lb and 8 lb kegs and I am a 4 lb keg fan. IMR folks told me this at the NRA convention. Please tell me how it works for all of you guys. I like it, but I have run into many doubters. And CocoBolo, I was turned onto it by 2 GM shooters that use CZs.

Edited by Red Ryder

Do ya'll find that SR7625 meters well?

Like water. Spot on 4.6gr with every pull of the handle.

Do ya'll find that SR7625 meters well?

I randomly pull a case off the 650 and powder check about 4-5 times per 500 rounds. I have never had a deviation in thousands of rounds with 7625.

I reckon I'll have to try some then :D

Add another vote for N320. I use MG 124FMJ out of my CZ SP01, 4.2gns makes about 131PF.

By the way, Powder Valley just got a shipment of Vhit in the other day. They are fully stocked on all Vhit powders...including the elusive 4lb N320!

CZinSC,

What OAL are you running with that load?

Thanks

So what do you think of 7625 CocoBolo?

I'm going to find out tomorrow when I go to shoot the Summer Shoot Out. I'm shooting Limited however, after the match I'll get the crono out and see how they work in the Shadow. (its the RO match so we will get done quick). I didn't get my Thursday practice in, I had to do plumbing.

Edited by CocoBolo

Sas:

Yeah that's the only downside with 700x.

But mild and accurate.

Rob

I too tried and used 700X for a while, went thru 4lb of it...

Metering is a little less consistent with it compared to other powders due to larger size flakes, but nothing to worry about unless your powder measure doesn't like the powder.

The reasons I switched to Clays were: cleaner burning, less smoke and softer recoil. I too, just as Sask, use Berry's bullets and don't plan on changing that :)

+1 on Solo 1000. I've been shooting primarily open for the past couple years, but Solo is loaded behind everything that goes through a gun with irons for me.

Solo was nice, but I don't feel like dragging the chrono out and working up from the start load every time I open a new container of powder. Solo's lot to lot variation is unacceptable for me.

+1 on Solo 1000. I've been shooting primarily open for the past couple years, but Solo is loaded behind everything that goes through a gun with irons for me.

Solo was nice, but I don't feel like dragging the chrono out and working up from the start load every time I open a new container of powder. Solo's lot to lot variation is unacceptable for me.

8 lbs is about 16,000+ rds. Dont use one yet but so far that is what im being told. Batch to batch is different. Just buy a big jug, youre set. 8lbs should set me for years. Dry fire FTW!!

3.6gr at OAL 1.12", Fed primer, 1045ft/s velo, PF129 out of CZ Shadow at sea level.

THANKS!!! I've noticed that OAL has been all over the place for these loads. You're at the low end of the spectrum with 1.2 and others go all the way to 1.4 I've been using 1.100 for my Titegroup load that I've been running for a while now. I know I was getting some pressure signs even at 3.3gr Clays at 1.100" OAL so I think I'll let it out a bit and test again.

I get the shortening the OAL would give you more pressure, and lengthening can ease that pressure and allow you to load higher, but is there any kind of standard OAL for 9mm with 124gr bullets? I'm loading Bear Creek Moly bullets, so it's a bit of a lead bullet design. Do people just pick an OAL and test with that? If you get pressure signs, lengthen it a bit? Or are you lengthening/shortening the OAL to find your barrel's accuracy sweet spot? Seems like one could take forever testing loads this way...

Just for peace of mine, we are talking "Clays" when we say Clays-- not one of the two-word variations, ala "Universal Clays"?

Yes definitly CLAYS, not "Universal Clays" or "International Clays". All three are definitly diffrent. For anyone who hasn't used them and thinking of trying "Clays" make sure you get the normal Hogdon "Clays" and not the other two.