Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open gun in .40?

spideysteve

Hi all

I did some searches, found a few answers, but not really too much out there about this topic that I could find ...

As background info .. I'm fairly new to handgun shooting in general (bought my first one 2 years ago) and just started shooting IPSC this year. I'm shooting my Tanfoglio Limited Custom 2 that I got earlier this year ...

At any rate, just wondering why there are very few open guns in 40? Most you see are in 9 mm or 38 super ... I've seen a couple open guns in 40 but really not many at all in comparison to the other calibers ...

Any thoughts?

Thanks

As Blue said, capacity and load development are the two primary reasons. A 170mm magazine in 40 will hold 26-27 rounds, in 38SC/9mm that same magazine will 29-30 rounds. While capacity can be planned around, more bullets give the shooter more options. In an Open gun, you run a slow powder beind a light bullet so that lots of gas is available to run the compensator. 38 Super and 9mm have a variety of 115, 120, 121, 124, 125, and 130gr bullets to work with; there are very few light bullets available in 40.

All that is then compounded by the fact that the 38S/9mm has become the defacto standard and thats what is generally available and also what the gunsmiths know how to build.

But a few 40s are out there. And nothing is stopping a shooter from running one and doing so well. But most likely sooner or later, a change will be needed to compete.

Here is the mother of all Open 40 threads: http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=77956&view=findpost&p=902806

Search on the title 40 Open using advanced search and you will find others.

And as blue said, the mags hold fewer rounds and the selection of light bullets is pretty slim. Not sure about his comment on shooting better? Mine run pretty good ;)

Mag capacity has been about the only answer I've found before posting this. Up in Canada we don't have that issue since we are limited to 10 round mags anyway ...

Thanks for that thread link ... I did a search before posting but didn't find that one ...

Thanks for the replies folks!

Mag capacity has been about the only answer I've found before posting this. Up in Canada we don't have that issue since we are limited to 10 round mags anyway ...

Thanks for that thread link ... I did a search before posting but didn't find that one ...

Thanks for the replies folks!

Shooting O-10 just leaves you with the small bullet selection issue. I have been using Rainier 135 plated bullets for years with good results at velocities in the range of 1250-1300 FPS. Nosler 135 JHPs are nice but cost a bit more. With your 160 PF, you should have no issues.

Good luck,

Chuck

Here is the mother of all Open 40 threads: http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=77956&view=findpost&p=902806

Search on the title 40 Open using advanced search and you will find others.

And as blue said, the mags hold fewer rounds and the selection of light bullets is pretty slim. Not sure about his comment on shooting better? Mine run pretty good ;)

I didn’t say .40 open guns lack the potential to shoot well, but it can take more time to develop a great load given some of the limitations. I’m just giving the impression I got when comparing my load development experience with a 9 major glock to my friend’s experience with the same gun in .40. I have no doubt that one can achieve a gun that shoots just as flat and soft in .40 as they can in any other caliber.

Cost of the bullets and bullet selection (light, fast rounds) are other big factors although mag capacity has got to be number 1. If you are limited to 10, then all else might not be a big issue so if you shoot Limited 40, it would make reloading much easier.

Cost of the bullets and bullet selection (light, fast rounds) are other big factors although mag capacity has got to be number 1. If you are limited to 10, then all else might not be a big issue so if you shoot Limited 40, it would make reloading much easier.

Well I guess this is really all academic for me. I like shooting my limited (and am really not that good yet, C class after shooting 6 qualifiers) ... The reason i was wondering about it was 2 fold ...

Reloading would likely be easier as I'm all set up, but really I'm set up for 9mm too, so no biggie. The second reason was that my wife is looking at getting into shooting IPSC and she wants an open gun if she does ...

Still trying to plug through the 9 pages of posts on the other thread .. Awesome info .. Thanks again everyone

Edited by spideysteve