Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Super 1050, RL 1050...

Stuck at work and boredom has set in... never a good thing for my credit cards...

Anyway I've been trying to search up the differences between the super 1050 and the RL 1050 and I'm not having much luck stuck with phone internet. What I think I have right is the RL is earlier version?

I'm sure there are other differences or Dillon wouldn't have come out with a different model or is it more of just a name change?

I don't have the scratch for a new one but if I could come across a used one at a good price I'd like to "play" with one.

Thanks!

The RL1050 was the predecessor to the Super 1050, very similar in design. The RL1050 has a shorter stroke, loads up to .223 Remington only. The Super 1050 has different linkage and shaft, can load up to 30-06 length cartridges (30-06 length does require shortening the bottom ofthe seat, crimp dies). They share conversion parts, toolheads and powder measures, priming & casefeed parts.

It has been my experience that the RL 1050's run better than the Super 1050's. The RL's do index faster so if you are loading a case full of powder it is more likely to slosh out if you load too fast........at least in my experience.

Thanks Emerson.

I found a bit more info on the change in index speed but it's conflicted in when the change actually took place. It seems some of the earlier 1050's have the "fast" index and then it was changed to slow it down later. Is that right? If that is right, is there any way to tell by say, serial number if it has the fast or slower index speed?

It also seems that at some point there was a change in primer feed for small pistol?

It is the Super 1050s that underwent a change in the shape of the index lever to slow down the indexing. The first 225 or so had the faster levers. Dillon sent replacement index levers to everyone who purchased directly from us, as well as replacement levers to Dillon dealers who had sold Super 1050s. The machines aren't serial numbered. Visually, the bottom of the early Super 1050 index lever had a straight angled surface, whereas the current index lever is shaped in an arc on the bottom, and does not come to a point at the very bottom.

One last question, I think... :) Brian lists the Super as 1050B but I don't see any reference to an A or B model on Dillon's web site. What's up with an A vs. a B? Thanks!

I'm pretty sure on this, but Gary will correct me if I'm wrong... There was not an "A" - and the "B" denotes the latest version of the press, with latest version of the index levers.

be