Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Disconnect between seeing well and shooting well

I'm a B class shooter in Production and have been putting in a lot of both dry fire and live fire practice this spring.

In my last couple of live fire range trips, I have noticed something... the quality of my "seeing' and the quality of my shooting seem to be diverging. My ability to call shots, and the precision with which I can call them is improving but my overall accuracy on the target has decreased.

I am also increasingly experiencing what I call "Enos moments" where I get that feeling of time slowing, seeing the sights in full cycle, actually feel like I am waiting for them to come back down and then seeing them stop, all the while being perfectly aware of the feel of my trigger finger and grip. But again, if anything my accuracy is sloppier.

Just curious if anyone else has experienced this as they "broke-through" from simple solid technical execution of the fundamentals to higher levels of seeing/awareness? I almost feel like the increased "input" of what I am observing is confusing my physical ability to react to it.

I'm a B class shooter in Production and have been putting in a lot of both dry fire and live fire practice this spring.

In my last couple of live fire range trips, I have noticed something... the quality of my "seeing' and the quality of my shooting seem to be diverging. My ability to call shots, and the precision with which I can call them is improving but my overall accuracy on the target has decreased.

I am also increasingly experiencing what I call "Enos moments" where I get that feeling of time slowing, seeing the sights in full cycle, actually feel like I am waiting for them to come back down and then seeing them stop, all the while being perfectly aware of the feel of my trigger finger and grip. But again, if anything my accuracy is sloppier.

Just curious if anyone else has experienced this as they "broke-through" from simple solid technical execution of the fundamentals to higher levels of seeing/awareness? I almost feel like the increased "input" of what I am observing is confusing my physical ability to react to it.

I can say I have/am feeling what you have mentioned but also have found it doesn't equate to good scoring during a match. What I have discovered about my shooting and it could be some of your problems as well is lack of confedense in hitting your target and possibly a poorly performing gun.

Just a suggestion, get your gun looked at by a gunsmith ( someone who knows the gun well ) in order to eliminate any problems such as a trigger problem and then work on aquiring a higher confidence in target acquisitions. Those are two things I have just opened my eyes to. I had major gun troubles with my Glock 35 (some of wich started to feel normal to me) which caused very poor marksmanship and the other a lack of confidense in hitting my target. The latter I feel has improved by practicing at 25 and 50 yards. My confidense has come to me by knowing that at 25 or 50 yards I can hit the target. Which give me so much more confidense at closer yardage.

Good luck,

Joe

• 2 weeks later...

I call those "aha gotcha" moments. It happens when your conscious mind becomes overwhelmed by the ability of your subconscious execution of something. Like a brain hiccup almost. I notice them when my skills are improving. In a match, they produce a moment of hesitation. On film they are hard for anyone to notice, even when I know exactly the frame it happened.

I chalk it up as a good thing, let's us know we are slowly

getting it together.

Your last one or two sentences describe what I'm talking about perfectly.

Edited by fourtrax

That's what I call getting into the zone. At first you think your not shooting and stopped then you pull your self out of the zone and shoot so fast the accuracy is gone. When you get use to going onto the zone you'll be able to keep shooting at the proper pace and the scores will raise. Just like a good day at practice with no one around.

• 4 weeks later...

If you're calling your shots, but they're not hitting where you called them, then it could be one of a few things.

It could be a mechanical issue with the gun.

It could be you are disrupting the sights and not "seeing" it as you pull the trigger.

Make sure the gun is squared away, and go back to the fundamentals that ensure good hits. The speed will likely still be there, but you need to focus on making sure your trigger control is perfect.

By "sloppier," do you mean the shots are not landing where you thought they would from calling the shots, or you are just not shooting in the middle of the targets? (Calling poorly placed shots.)

be

Thanks everyone for the responses. The gun is mechanically accurate and I can shoot it quite accurately in slow fire.

By "sloppier," do you mean the shots are not landing where you thought they would from calling the shots, or you are just not shooting in the middle of the targets? (Calling poorly placed shots.)

be

Accurately calling inaccurate shots. Shot calling is good, shot placement is poor.

Best way I can think to describe it is that when I have a little "softer" focus on the front sight, I track the sights better in recoil and have a better awareness of how the gun is aligned with the target, but lack some precision in the aiming. If I have a very hard, sharp focus on the top edge of the front sight, then my accuracy is better, but I feel like I am losing some of the other "awareness" that I have with a softer focus and can really see it in the timer, esp on transitions.

I keep getting little glimmers of "Oh, THAT's what I should be seeing!", but they are fleeting in practice and absent in matches.