Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Come & listen to my story bout a boy named Bush

ErikW

Look, I'm sorry, but people just keep on sending me this stuff. It's like I'm the clearing house for Bush-bashing jokes. This one starts out strong then goes downhill...

(Sung to the tune of Beverly Hillbillies)

Come and listen to my story 'bout a boy named Bush.

His IQ was zero and his head was up his tush.

He drank like a fish while he drove a car about.

But that didn't matter 'cuz his daddy bailed him out.

DUI, that is.

Criminal record.

Cover-up.

Well, the first thing you know little Georgie goes to Yale.

He can't spell his name but they never let him fail.

He spends all his time hangin' out with student folk.

And that's when he learns how to snort a line of coke.

Blow, that is.

White gold.

Nose candy.

The next thing you know there's a war in Vietnam.

Kin folks say, "George, stay at home with Mom."

Let the common people get maimed and scarred.

We'll buy you up a spot in the Texas National Guard.

Cush, that is.

Country clubs.

Nose candy.

Twenty years later George gets a little bored.

He trades in the booze, says that Jesus is his Lord.

He said, "Now the White House is the place I wanna be."

So he called his daddy's friends and they called the GOP.

Gun owners, that is.

Falwell.

Jesse Helms.

Come November 7, the election ran late.

Kin folks said "Jeb, give the boy your state!"

"Don't let those colored folks get anywhere near polls."

So they put up barricades so they couldn't punch their holes.

Chads, that is. Duval County. Miami-Dade.

Before the votes were counted all the five

Supremes stepped in.

Told all the voters "Hey, we want our George to win."

"Stop counting votes!" was their solemn invocation.

And that's how little Georgie finally got his coronation.

Rigged, that is.

Illegitimate. No moral authority.

Y'all come vote now.

Ya hear?

You think someone purportedly a moderator would know that political topics are not allowed on this, the acme of shooting forums. Perhaps it is time for Eric to turn in his keys, as it were, and go back to sniping from the sidelines.

Alex

Wow, it's probably because I'm not interested in politics at all, but why all the incredibly harsh replies to Erik's post? By all means say what you will, but delete a post just because it goes against your political views?

This is something I never expected form the free-minded folks around here.

Spook, that is a very good question. I think we are defensive of our President because our nation is currently at war. The Prez is the Commander in Chief of our armed forces, where brave Americans are getting killed everyday. We're a little sensitive right now.

(Political content removed)

We may flame Erik a little, but we won't harm him, or allow anyone else to either.

Edited by Sam

Sam, thanks for the reply. A little flaming is OK I'd say (I wasn't referring to your reply BTW, which I found rather funny actually).

I am afraid I cannot respond to the rest of your post without getting political so I will not.

All I meant to say is that I think the reactions to a (IMO) harmless joke seem very agressive (and again, I exclude your and Duane's reply). That is something that surprizes me.

If the post regarded John Kerry or any other politician, would we be having this very same conversation? Is it the fact that it is Bush that is referenced, or is it politics in general that is the hot button?

Have to post it here? Dont know about Eric but mine came with a delete button. Larry
Wow, it's probably because I'm not interested in politics at all, but why all the incredibly harsh replies to Erik's post? By all means say what you will, but delete a post just because it goes against your political views?

This is something I never expected form the free-minded folks around here.

spook,

If you read Larry's reply, you'll see he wasn't advocating deleting Erik's post, he was saying that the fact Erik keeps being sent anti-Bush jokes does not mean he has to post them to www.brianenos.com. He could just read them and delete them from his e-mail account, as most of us do to unsolicited jokes.

Here's a post from you Duane - A Letter to the DNC

BigDave,

Yes, I posted a political joke - more than one over the years, actually - to this web site. What's happening here is that, for reasons I understand, Brian has institued a "no political discussions" policy on his web site. Personally, I would love to see a Political Discussions section here, but I understand and support that decision. Especially in the current political climate, there's no way we could have said Political Discussions without things swiftly getting out of hand and poisoning the harmonious and nurturing atmosphere that makes this board stand out from all other shooting related web sites, something we've all worked hard to develop and maintain.

The reason we're seeing the heated replies to Erik's post is that Erik, God love 'im, seems to feel an uncontrollable desire to express his negative opinion of George W. Bush, Jr. This is not, how shall we say, universally appreciated by every forums board member out there, many of whom disagree with him and find his opinions and expression thereof unpleasant.

While we have the rule against "no political discussions" in every other section on the board, there has always been an unwritten policy - actually we moderators have discussed this, so I guess you could say it's been written - that we allow political jokes in the Humor section. Robbed of any other outlet to express his political opinions on this board, I believe some people perceive that Erik has abused this "loophole" to sneak in his anti-Bush opinions the only way he can.

You'll notice that in all Erik's previous anti-Bush jokes, if I'm correct, and I think I am, almost no one has replied before. There has been a conspicuous absence of feedback. I believe the only reply was one, my two word "Opinions differ" last month. Obviously people have been holding back on their resentment, respecting the tone of the board. When I posted my "And the truly horrible thing is they then force you to post it here" comment to Eric, I meant it to gently tease him, and even possibly make him think, about the fact his explanation for why he keeps posting such stuff to this board, "People keep sending me these things," doesn't really hold water. I had no idea - speaking of water - this would be the pinprick in the dam what would unleash that pent-up flood of resentment. It's a little too late to put the genie back in the bottle. All I can say is I wish this hadn't happened.

The reason we're seeing the heated replies to Erik's post is that Erik, God love 'im, seems to feel an uncontrollable desire to express his negative opinion of George W. Bush, Jr.

I think that the people who post jokes like the link Dave posted (and many more examples can be given) seems to feel an uncontrollable desire to express their negative opinion of Democrats/Clinton/Gore, etc.

Opinions exist. I just find it very uncool that as long as you support opinion X and make fun of opinion Y on these boards, you're OK. But as soon as you make fun of opinion X you get flamed.

spook,

If you read Larry's reply, you'll see he wasn't advocating deleting Erik's post, he was saying that the fact Erik keeps being sent anti-Bush jokes does not mean he has to post them to www.brianenos.com. He could just read them and delete them from his e-mail account, as most of us do to unsolicited jokes.

I stand corrected. But taking away Erik's moderator rights as a suggestion, just because he makes fun of George W?

I agree with people when they say: "no politics here". But to me that also means: not making fun of Europeans (there are quite a few on the boards here), not making fun of democrats(same reason). Not making fun of Hillary, etc.

In one sentence: it's not cool if rules only apply to you when you don't break them the right way.

I too wish this whole thing never happened.

I think that the people who post jokes like the link Dave posted (and many more examples can be given) seems to feel an uncontrollable desire to express their negative opinion of Democrats/Clinton/Gore, etc.

That's certainly true.

I just find it very uncool that as long as you support opinion X and make fun of opinion Y on these boards, you're OK. But as soon as you make fun of opinion X you get flamed.

No one has been "flamed as soon as they post opinion Y." This has been going on for months, and this is the first time anyone's said boo.

I stand corrected. But taking away Erik's moderator rights as a suggestion, just because he makes fun of George W?

I thought that was a bit much, myself. It certainly doesn't reflect my feelings. And, without conducting a poll, I can say with certainty it doesn't refect the feelings of any other moderator.

I agree with people when they say: "no politics here". But to me that also means: not making fun of Europeans (there are quite a few on the boards here), not making fun of democrats(same reason). Not making fun of Hillary, etc.

And wouldn't that be a loss? Just so there's no doubt where I'm coming from here, yes, I fall into the "I disagree with Erik's political opinions and find them unpleasant" camp. (Can I say that as a moderator? I guess I just did.) But I also realize he has the right to express them. And unless we want to give up all political jokes in the Humor section, which I for one would hate to see, that means I can just not click on future anti-Bush jokes when Erik posts them. (Free will, what a concept.)

In one sentence: it's not cool if rules only apply to you when you don't break them the right way.

No one has broken any rules, including Erik. And no one is saying it's okay to break them if you do them the right way.

I too wish this whole thing never happened.

On that we can certainly agree.

And wouldn't that be a loss? Just so there's no doubt where I'm coming from here, yes, I fall into the "I disagree with Erik's political opinions and find them unpleasant" camp. (Can I say that as a moderator? I guess I just did.) But I also realize he has the right to express them. And unless we want to give up all political jokes in the Humor section, which I for one would hate to see, that means I can just not click on future anti-Bush jokes when Erik posts them. (Free will, what a concept.)

Good point. And as I posted before, I was not referring to your reply to Erik's post. One thing I absolutely love about these forums is that people often politely disagree with eachother. This is an odd phenomenon on the net, and I would hate to see it deteriorate. Thanks for being polite ;)

i read alot of the gun "boards"(i know, i gotta get more of a life....). it does seem that anyone who speaks any type of anti-republican or bush rhetoric is shouted down in quite loud tones. and these are from the voices who are very sincere about the freedom(right) to keep and bear arms. orwellian ideas kinda, "some ideas are more equal than others....."

Sure...and we can have a thread about BBQ'ing babies next since we support "full" first amendment "free speech" rights as well as "full" second amendment rights... :lol:

Those who enforce the rules shouldn't be allowed to break them...again and again and again...that would be positively...Clintonian!

Kerryish!

:P

Alex

(forgot my emoticon in my earlier post, so I'll throw a few extras here... :P:P:P:P )

AW

Posting jokes concerning unpopular (here in the forums) people isn't breaking the rule about discussing politics. Posting jokes about popular (here in the forums) people is breaking the no-politics rule. Thanks for setting me straight; I understand now.

Amen

Lighten UP!

All politicians are prime subjects for any and all attempts at humor. Having a keen sense of the absurd I find great entertainment value in every occupant of the White House since Ike. (I don't remember anyone earlier....)

Erik may be guilty of violating the Patriot Act but this is not the place to discuss it.

(sorry, couldn't resist :D )

Posting jokes concerning unpopular (here in the forums) people isn't breaking the rule about discussing politics. Posting jokes about popular (here in the forums) people is breaking the no-politics rule. Thanks for setting me straight; I understand now.

Actually, neither is against the rules.