Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gunsmithing Screwdrivers?

Hotchkiss

I have always cringed when I see a firearm with bunged-up screw heads. Are "gunsmithing screwdrivers" (hollow ground screwdrivers) a key to not screwing-up screws? My current screwdrivers are Craftsman and Snap-On. Is it really worth buying more?

Is there a fairly inexpensive screwdriver that's favored or is it best just to buy something from Brownell's? I suspect if one knew where to look they could find hollow ground screwdrivers for considerably less than what Brownells and Midway charges. Thanks.

Buy these... http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=6739/Product/GRACE_SCREWDRIVER_SET

I bought them after years of using the softer Foster (http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=6634/Product/GUNSMITH_SCREWDRIVERS) set and which I had known then what I know now.

The Grace look cheap but are well ground and HARD tipped which is important IMO.

I don't care for magna-tip setups other than specialty bits. You use several size drivers on each gun so for flats, a dedicated set is money well spent.

If you don't care for looking at bunged-up screw heads, get the right screw drivers. Yes, they are worth having.

A regular screwdriver works sometimes, but remember thats were those bunged-up screw heads came from

Take a good look at the side profile of your ordinary, garden variety, hardware store screwdriver. You will see that it is a taper profile. This taper will cause the screwdriver to rise out of the screw slot and ouch, a scar. You will have to put much more downward pressure to loosen tight screws to keep it from rising out of the slot. If you do muscle the screwdriver downward and twist hard on a tight screw you may bung up the top of the screw slot where all of the contact is made as that is where the tapered screwdriver contacts the slot.

There's a reason smiths use hollow ground screwdrivers. You would be smart to follow their lead.

Pat

You can't go wrong with Brownells Magna-Tips, IMHO. I started out with one hollow handle and all the bits needed for an S&W revolver. I now have a set of bits for each of my guns, along with an extra handle (the "Law Enforcement" style), and the storage box. I think all together this cost about 80 bucks, but I look at it as protecting my investment. The Chapmans aren't bad to start out with, but I have broken a couple of them over the years. Use those around the house now.

Fairness notice, I work at Brownells. Our bits are 100% guaranteed, for your lifetime. If you grab one that's too narrow for the slot and break it, we'll replace it for free, forever. Ours are U.S. made by a company that makes bits for the airplane industry. I like our NRA set 084-000-257 as a good started. It has the torx bits you'll need for scope work and some of the slotted bits for those screws. Retail is about $50.00. The add-on set for another $25 will put you in good shape.