Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CED 8000 Timer

Cameron

I am thinking about buying one of the new CED 8000 folding timers. I have read many reports on many of the other timers, but not much on this one yet. Anyone have a report? Good or Bad?

Thanks,

Cameron

8 out of 10

Hits:

Good display

Sensitivity works to cancel echoes on an indoor range

Small package (think Gameboy)

Easy to change modes - menu instead of combinations of buttons

Misses

Buzzer isn't very loud

Casing doesn't feel tough (though I think it is)

Instruction manual kinda lame

I haven't tried a couple of the features - stop plate sensors, or IR control of a display.

Hope this helps!

Yes, it is helping! This is the only timer that I can plug headphones into and not disturb the family while dryfiring. I guess that is why I want it.

Keep the reports coming!

... This is the only timer that I can plug headphones into and not disturb the family while dryfiring....

For this feature alone I will probably buy one too even though I already have a Pact MklV.

... This is the only timer that I can plug headphones into and not disturb the family while dryfiring....

For this feature alone I will probably buy one too even though I already have a Pact MklV.

Or you could just put a volume knob on your MKIV like I did.

Or you could just put a volume knob on your MKIV like I did.

Eric,

If I open the MkIV case, I'm afraid I will never be able to put it back much less adding any kind of knob to it. :)

Any chance I can send mine to you for the "custom work"? B)

N2299,

You betcha! I'll even fix it so your volume goes to 11. B)

FWIW, if anybody's going to buy *one* timer and doesn't own a chronograph, buy the Pact MKIV timer/chrono from Brian. You can fix the volume control yourself or have someone do it for you.

You might as well have one timer that does everything.

We got 8 of these for Test and Evaluation, and after a week I'm getting feedback.

Almost everyone likes them, except for the fact the cover has to be open to hear the buzzer and have the shots recorded, which has made some wonder if that will cause us to break covers off.

I really like the 10 string auto record feature. No more lost strings caused when someone hits the beeper before scoring has been confirmed! and no more slowdowns when I'n working drills either. Case in point. I shot El Prez on classics about 6 times yesterday. Then I took the timer to my truck and made notes on every string. I was able to look at what was faster from string 1 to string 6, and was able to look at exact transitions and splits from each run. It was nice to keep shooting and then compare which string felt faster to what actually was!

I'll be able to try out the headphones and sensitivity later this week, as we are indoors and echoes have been bad there!

I would like a much louder buzzer though!

Tom

THS,

Please keep me posted on your findings. I was wondering about keeping the lid open myself, but so far that does not sound to be a problem. I think the upgraded version has the capibility to add an external speaker, maybe you could use that to get the volume you need?

The only buzzers I have heard are the pocket pro and the RU ready. How does the volume compair to these two?

Thanks,

Cameron

The beep here is just like the buzz of the CED 6000, which aint too bad. I've come to like the more sharp tone of the RU ready timers, they seem to have a definite start and stop to them while the CED 6000, 8000 and pocket pro seem to be more of a buzz than beep.

Given a choice, I'd love the RU ready beep in the CED 8000 case.

Tom

• 1 month later...

I just received mine and I like the dry fire possiblilites it gives but must say that I'm a bil dissapointed that it can't be run closed, either for training or if you ROing.

Mine dosn't record shots in closed mode with a sensativity setting below 4, and with a setting of 4 or above it will record the buzzer as shots so it will record 6 x-tra and a total time of .49sec.. So if anybody wondered the buzzer on a CED8000 is a 6 part noice with a total length of .49sec..

I don't like this at all... The buzzer and microphone are head to head if in closed mode...how smart is that?

my .02

I got mine last week. One thing I don't like is that you cannot set par lower than 0.9 seconds when you let the par beep end ON the par time (instead of start when par time is reached). Do all timers have this?

I like the headphone feature. The sensitivity feature is great. The memory function is great. It's not as ergonomic/handy as I hoped, though.

Spook, have you tried it on sensitivity 4 and start it while closed.. I wanna know if it's mine thats f*#ked up or they all are.. mine registers 6 shots regarless if I do it in a library... :(

I got mine last week. One thing I don't like is that you cannot set par lower than 0.9 seconds when you let the par beep end ON the par time (instead of start when par time is reached). Do all timers have this?

Most timers start the 'end' beep at the end of the par time. The reason the CED won't go below 0.9 is because the start beep is 0.5 seconds long, and the end-of-par beep is 0.3 seconds. It would just be one long beeeeep if it was under 0.9

Dalmas, I tried it and yes, six "shots" with a 0.48 second length :(

I thought the manual said to always use it when it's open, except when you are using the headphones. This might be the reason :huh:

I think you can adjust the length of the beep, because I can set a par time of .6 with no problem.

I have not found that running the timer open is a problem. That is where you need to read the shots anyway.

So far so good in my experiance.

I have had my 8000 timer for 2 months now and have had nothing but praise for it...I love the BIG numbers. The ear plug for practice and dry fire is worth its weight.

Be warned that (when u drop it) and it fails to come on.. :huh: the manual is useless in helpfull hints :unsure:

To make a long story short, the placement of the 9 volt battery makes the timer heavy on that corner (upon falling) the battery drives the metal contract strip in towards the center of the unit. The good news is nothing breaks,,,But u must use a small screw driver or knife blade and rebend the contact back before it will function again. :unsure:

Otherwise just a upgraded beep should be offered as a service with there RF service... B)

I think the CED 6000 is way better than the CED 8000. I think out of the 8 or 9

I played with only 2 worked properly, thats not a good average. I have had a CED 6000 for about 8 years and I like it. PACT and ProTimer make good units also.

• 2 weeks later...

I borrowed a CED 8000 yesterday to RO with when the club timer crapped out.

Good-- huge display with lots of data. Easy to stick behind your back for the scorekeeper to read while you unload-&-show-clear the shooter. We had no problem with the beep volume when open. The 10-string review feature is cool, though it can be a bit confusing while trying to review the current string. Straightforward for anybody used to CED's to pick up & run with right away.

Other comments: Have to keep it open for use.. I'm not sure I like this. It lets the unit fold up nicely for storage, but could be wierd for practice when hooked to your own belt.

A couple of times I noticed extra 0.09 splits recorded. I hope this isn't another visit from the 0.06 phantom-split the CED 6000's do.

On the whole I like it, and would put it up top with the PACT MKIV in recommendations to a timerless-shooter. But, in my opinion it's not throw-your-existing-timer-away better.

I've now played with it a lot and like it very much, the earpiece function is perfect if you train alone, put the cable under your shirt and clip the timer (closed) to the belt and you can run and gun as much as you want.

The only down sides are.

My first battery only lasted 1½ week - (used it alot) it eats power.

I'd really like if it could be run closed. Move the mic and speeker away from each other.