Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

recoil springs in 1911's

usmc1974

I was looking a a topic by Hankfan79 and was wondering. I got a new Springfield stainless target model it came with an 18lb recoil spring. I could not get it to lock the slide back on the last round had to go to a 16lb now it works fine. Is Springfield the only company to use 18lb spring. I did not know you could use a 12 or so pound spring in a 45.

Edited by usmc1974

I never tried a 12lbs, I always used a 14lbs recoil spring for the 45acp.

I'd run 12lbs with 200g swc and 3.8g of 231 for speed steel, but for USPSA 180 power factor I'd run 200g swc @ 900fps with a 16lb recoil spring..... It ate shock buffs. 14lbs always seemed too sharp to me.

I never tried a 12lbs, I always used a 14lbs recoil spring for the 45acp.

I'd run 12lbs with 200g swc and 3.8g of 231 for speed steel, but for USPSA 180 power factor I'd run 200g swc @ 900fps with a 16lb recoil spring..... It ate shock buffs. 14lbs always seemed too sharp to me.

I assume a 12lbs would work for minor pf ,for 45acp major I always ran a 14lbs.

Thanks for all the good info this is why this a great place. So if I run a 200lfp bullet at about 850-900 the best spring is a 16lb/. This is important in IDPA so the slide locks back on the last round.

Thanks for all the good info this is why this a great place. So if I run a 200lfp bullet at about 850-900 the best spring is a 16lb/. This is important in IDPA so the slide locks back on the last round.

Personally, I prefered the recoil pulse of a 16lb spring at a 180 power factor. There is no harm in trying each and making a decision for yourself. The slide will always lock back with a 16lb spring.

Personally, I prefered the recoil pulse of a 16lb spring at a 180 power factor. There is no harm in trying each and making a decision for yourself. The slide will always lock back with a 16lb spring.

This is what I was wondering about because, with an 18 lb factory that came in it, it will not. Thanks B

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I use a 14 lb with 172-178 PF loads. Going to play around with a progressive 15 lb one of these days.

45 minor loads? Loaded up some 230's with a pinch of N310--just a plinkin' load for the kids when

they wanted to move up from 22's. PF was sub minor, gun ran 100% with an 8 lb spring. Still had enough

whack to take down plate rack/poppers.