Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Loading Steel Wolf .223 Brass

DyNo!

For a lot of major 3-gun matches, your brass stays on the ground or, you don't have time to pick it up.

I recently acquired a bunch of Hornady steel case match ammo and once that runs out, I'm looking to pursue a similar practice of leaving steel on the ground when I travel.

If I were to buy Wolf .223 steel cased ammo - and pull the bullets (and save and recover the bullets and powders to load in brass) - load the steel casings with Varget and Privi bullets; is there anything I need to do other than work up the load properly and neck size?

Since I don't have a neck sizing die, would I be ok using a full length sizing die just to resize the neck a bit? (I think I might be able to adjust it far enough to size the neck without bumping the shoulder. I don't want to scratch off the polymer coating)

If this is possible, I'd basically be paying $25 for 500 rounds of never fired match brass.

Edited by DyNo!

I'd always been told to stay away from doing anything reloading wise with the steel case stuff because it's hell on resizing dies and that's it. I took that at full value and never actually tried it, but the way you're talking about basically neck-sizing it on a FL die without bumping the shoulder should be a lot less harsh on the die set. I'm sure someone has tried it... ?

I'd always been told to stay away from doing anything reloading wise with the steel case stuff because it's hell on resizing dies and that's it. I took that at full value and never actually tried it, but the way you're talking about basically neck-sizing it on a FL die without bumping the shoulder should be a lot less harsh on the die set. I'm sure someone has tried it... ?

Better yet, someone has done it:

WolfM-855.jpg

Wolf193-855A.jpg

Just wanted to get input if anyone else has experience with it here.

• 2 weeks later...

For a lot of major 3-gun matches, your brass stays on the ground or, you don't have time to pick it up.

I recently acquired a bunch of Hornady steel case match ammo and once that runs out, I'm looking to pursue a similar practice of leaving steel on the ground when I travel.

If I were to buy Wolf .223 steel cased ammo - and pull the bullets (and save and recover the bullets and powders to load in brass) - load the steel casings with Varget and Privi bullets; is there anything I need to do other than work up the load properly and neck size?

Since I don't have a neck sizing die, would I be ok using a full length sizing die just to resize the neck a bit? (I think I might be able to adjust it far enough to size the neck without bumping the shoulder. I don't want to scratch off the polymer coating)

If this is possible, I'd basically be paying $25 for 500 rounds of never fired match brass.

I've played with reloading Wolf .223 cases. The steel is pretty soft and sizes easily. The only trouble I had was with neck tension. I had to crank down my crimp die to keep the bullets seated. I think the problem with steel is that it springs back a little more than brass.

Yes people have done it but the question in my mind is why? If as you say it is for financial reasons then you are truly deep into false economy. Just got back from Ironman and I shot 500+ rounds of rifle using my normal lot of rotated .223 brass. So even on the high side I donated $40 to the range. But given that one or two malfunctions with rifle brass can ruin your match why try to save $20 on only leaving steel cases. I had well over $1000 into the trip so why would such a small savings be attractive if it can negatively effect the whole trip?

• 1 month later...

Don't remember who has it but you can find 1x sized and trimmed cases for .07 each. I would not mess with the steel cases but know people who have reloaded them just like normal only with more wear and tear on dies and cutters. I never had good luck with any Privi bullets in .223, 62 FMJ or the 75bthp.