Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First DQ

guns_and_labs

Ugh. I've been shooting a long time (safely), but just recently decided to "get competitive". Got a nice shiny Limited Gun, with a nice light trigger just like the pro's shoot, and a newer design mag release that was just a little bit different in shape. I dry-fired a lot, to get used to the trigger, tried a few mag changes at the workbench to get used to the new release.

Well, first mag change on the move with the new, shiny pistol, and it appears that, when I hit the mag release with my thumb, my trigger finger doesn't always rest itself safely against the side of the pistol, but occasionally touches the side of the trigger. Bang. Oops. I was stopped, unloaded and showing clear as the RO caught up with me and yelled, "stop". The shot was vaguely in the direction of the next target, but we both knew what had happened.

Many lessons:

1. Sometimes a trigger can be too light for a particular shooter.

2. When you get a new trigger (or anything new), you should dryfire/practice all manner of things, including reloads on the move, before the first match.

3. No matter how long you've been shooting, you can still screw up - and can hopefully still learn.

Edited by guns_and_labs

They say there is 2 kinds of shooters. Those that have been DQ'ed and those that are going to be DQ'ed later.

Take it as a learning tool. You did the right thing by stopping.

Brent

i just moved to a 2011 platform and I must admit I fear a potential AD by touching the light trigger. That's why I have a piece of skate tape on the frame where my trigger finger needs to be when not shooting at targets.

I have done exactly tha same thing with my CZ the first month I had it in competition. Mag release not dropping the mag all the time, I am working with it, my finger brushes the lite trigger and bam........ DQ. lot more dry fire tune release and for now problem solved. Like they say it happens just keep it always pointed in a safe direction........ But then that is another story.

Many lessons:

1. Sometimes a trigger can be too light for a particular shooter.

If your trigger is safe (i.e. not following) no matter how light it is it wont go off if your finger is outside the trigger guard B) ask me how I know.

Edited by PeterMor

• 4 weeks later...

been there. I had an AD on mag change with my finger out of the guard. Ran a mag to slide lock... which i planned cause i had a long run and lots of time to change on the move. turned did a beautiful mag change dropped the slide and bang sent one over the berm. finger on the frame. Moral of the story... check your internal parts often as well. broken sear and hammer follow took care of it for me.

• 4 months later...